Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

VCS, NC-Verilog and Modelsim, which is the best simulator??

VCS, NC-Verilog and Modelsim, which is the best simulator??

• VCS

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • NC-Verilog/NC-VHDL/NC-Sim

• Modelsim

• Others

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
i use NC-Verilog, because it firster.
But vcs 7.1 can support assertion and systemverilog,
so we will shift to vcs.
modelsim is more useful in fpga.

Modelsim and nc-verilog

NC is the best for the simulation speed but not for the accuracy

Re: VCS, NC-Verilog and Modelsim, which is the best simulato

just for display signals, modelsim is quite slow comparing with NC

Modelsim because cheap

does anybody can tell me what's the different among these three

I have designed 5 microprocessors all simulated on ModelSim .. everything was quite smooth and efficient .. I rarely found couple of calculation bugs ..

The major difference between VCS and the other 2(NC and Modelsim) lies in the fact that the simv executable is generated instead of a top level "snapshot" or cell.

you just need to run simv as a command which is, IMHO, much more straightforward than the other 2, which need "vsim top" or "ncsim top" .

Actually the beauty of VCS is not only speed, but also the fact that you can clearly see it calls for GNU Gcc compiler to get simv, which makes this tool a long life product for sure!!!

In terms of GUI debugging, none can compeate with Debussy.

NC trys to integrate signalscan(after acquire Designacc) into its Simvision environment, which looks ugly to me, although I used to play with signalscan before i found debussy.

VCS/Scirocco has no choice but Virsim as its GUI for historical reason, which still does not support schematic viewer for VHDL design. It looks ugly to me too. But one thing that is worth mentioning is that Synopsys has taken an initiative to line up all the GUIs for its future tools to use Qt, which is the basis for KDE , which is the most beautiful Desktop Environment for Linux!

Modelsim seems to be the cram of crop as to user frendly GUI Design, but still a bit far from Debussy. Modelsim 5.8 have added more features(Coverage, Language, etc).

I think most of the posters choose NC because they all use Windoze platform and Synopsys has stopped supporting VCS since 6.0 release on Winnt.

I will bet on VCS on Linux as the Future, although I own all the 3 simuators on all the platforms.

NC is the quickest, modelsim is the cheapest,
each of them is verified by tons of designs. so
it depends on the situation.

I think Modelsim is the best, as it has a friend interface.

I prefer vcs and i am using it now.
I also believe that synopsys is more powerful.

Modelsim is well and easy use

modelsim is easy to install and use after 5.8se but it surely has bugs in the previously version , it can also do co-sim . I wonder if NC can do this.

also modelsim is easy to link with debussy or other pli, NC is more
complicated to do that.

modelsim can do co-sim, NC cannot
modelsim is easy to get & install
modelsim can be linked with oher EDA Tools like pli. While NC is more
complicated to do that

NC and VCS is used for ASIC design.Modelsim is used for FPGA design.

I prefer NC-verilog.

I heard that Modelsim is best to simulate, and Active-HDL is best to edit the HDL file. Is that true?

Cheers,

Davy Zhu

I only have used ModelSim. Does my vote counts since I do not see the reason to switch to others?

I prefer VCS, because it's very fast, and I like the way of it to compile verilog files into executables to run the simulation. Modelsim is too slow for big designs. The disadvantages of VCS on waveform/debugging etc. can be covered by Debussy, which is a very very powerful RTL debugger. also, Modelsim's editor is evil, I use Emacs+verilog-mode instead. Of course, for VHDL it's better to use modelsim, but for verilog, Emacs+VCS/NCV+Debussy is the most powerful weapon in front end design, much more powerful than modelsim.

Yes, exactly, and VCS can use other C Compilers, such as Intel CC.
I totally agree with you, VCS is beautiful and graceful. :eek:

sweesw said:
The major difference between VCS and the other 2(NC and Modelsim) lies in the fact that the simv executable is generated instead of a top level "snapshot" or cell.

you just need to run simv as a command which is, IMHO, much more straightforward than the other 2, which need "vsim top" or "ncsim top" .

Actually the beauty of VCS is not only speed, but also the fact that you can clearly see it calls for GNU Gcc compiler to get simv, which makes this tool a long life product for sure!!!

In terms of GUI debugging, none can compeate with Debussy.

NC trys to integrate signalscan(after acquire Designacc) into its Simvision environment, which looks ugly to me, although I used to play with signalscan before i found debussy.

VCS/Scirocco has no choice but Virsim as its GUI for historical reason, which still does not support schematic viewer for VHDL design. It looks ugly to me too. But one thing that is worth mentioning is that Synopsys has taken an initiative to line up all the GUIs for its future tools to use Qt, which is the basis for KDE , which is the most beautiful Desktop Environment for Linux!

Modelsim seems to be the cram of crop as to user frendly GUI Design, but still a bit far from Debussy. Modelsim 5.8 have added more features(Coverage, Language, etc).

I think most of the posters choose NC because they all use Windoze platform and Synopsys has stopped supporting VCS since 6.0 release on Winnt.

I will bet on VCS on Linux as the Future, although I own all the 3 simuators on all the platforms.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back