Using Active PFC using Boost Regulator; will this same STEP UP MY 12v to greater ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

atifsheikh_91

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello

I will be designing a single phase VFD for Indcution motor with Power Factor correction.

Main Blocks would be H bridge (220Vac to 60Vdc) , Boost circuit as active PFC , boost to vary voltage from 60Vdc \[\mapsto\]to 220Vdc, and an inverter for dc to ac.

now i am just confuse that ; Will the Boost Circuit for PFC Step UP my Voltage or its gain (Vin/Vout dc) would be 1.( mean to say will it be working as the regulator or not)

Please answer my question.

Dear atifsheikh_91
Hi
The Boost converters can be as a regulator or as a voltage multiplier (with high currents) or as a PFC after rectifier ( bridge) .
But it is really clear and i don't know that why you confused?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

but , could a single network of boost can manage to regulate as well as correct the power factor? can you help me with a circuuit?

The numbers in your post don't make much sense. A PFC boost converter has by design a DC output voltage above Vpk, e.g. 350 V. So I don't understand how you want to achieve 60V DC with 220 V AC input. Please clarify about the configuration.

The numbers in your post don't make much sense. A PFC boost converter has by design a DC output voltage above Vpk, e.g. 350 V. So I don't understand how you want to achieve 60V DC with 220 V AC input. Please clarify about the configuration.

Wll Mr.FvM sorry that it confused u with my words; but these are true .. 220Vac is converted via transformer and Rectifiers to 60Vdc. but i want to again change it to 220Vdc ,. my task is to make a VFD with PFC features. (I read it once that PFC can be accomplished by using BOOST regulators )

Can a single BOOST CKT work as a regulator and PFC as well?

but , could a single network of boost can manage to regulate as well as correct the power factor? can you help me with a circuuit?
Dear atifsheikh_91
Yes it can do all of them in a circuit as well as . and you should read some books in this area e.g Switching power supply design of ABRAHAM pressman . It is really simple to design that. and it can use as a PFC and regulator but not with increasing the voltage! for more information read some book in this area .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

PFC stages are generally boost converters, otherwise they couldn't sink a continuous (sine shaped) current for all instantaneous input voltage levels. A 60 to 220V boost factor doesn't give best efficiency, but should basically work.

there is another Problem dudes ; well I designed a simple boost regulator (12 to 35V) as in book Power Electronics by MS Rashid and simulated the circuit in the Multisim11 , I am having to issues with my design;
1) Output is building very slowly
2) Output is not stabling at 35V; it reaches to 31 V slowly and after that its output changes very slowly;

Dear atifsheikh_91
HI
It is normal that the output changes are slowly because of that , in your out put , you have just a capacitor ( filter ) . and it is usual. but you can improve it with some circuits. and about stability of out put. i think the core of your inductor is saturated. did you create gap space on your core?
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Dear atifsheikh_91
i think the core of your inductor is saturated. did you create gap space on your core?

Thanks for your reply Mr.GoldSimth;
But, I was just doing simulation ; I simualted it in Multisim and in Simulink (SimPowerSystem) but both are giving me the same Issues, .. can you or anybody give me the link of these circuits.

Dear atifsheikh_91
Hi
The simulation with softwares are not good for switching systems. at practice , you will see incredible and confusing things!
but if you want to simulate your circuit , ok , but why multisim? i think that the result of PSpice is near to the real .
Best lucks!
Goldsmith

Again Hi
Yes My mean is orcad. by the way , the accuracy of LT spice is more than pspice ( i think)

Status
Not open for further replies.