Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

USB PCB weird behaviour

Status
Not open for further replies.

chopcooey

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi there, i was wondering if anyone could help me with this. I recently made a PCB for a FT2232H USB-serial converter in order to get an easy way of exchanging data between a PC and a microcontroller system. I followed most guidelines from FTDI to use their serial converter but my PCB has the following issue:

-USB device connects and disconnects repeatedly, unless i keep the PCB held in a certain manner.
-does stay connected if i use a male/female USB extension, running PC and MCU apps no problem.

I hand soldered my SMD PCB by myself using hot air, so plan on soldering another one to make sure it is not a soldering problem and i believe there is 50% chance the problem is there.

In the meantime, i am trying to check for other potential issues that can be causing this, maybe something about USB that i didn't know. Does anyone have any obvious gotchas i might have skipped?

I will provide all the necessary files if needed.

I had issues in the past with high speed USB products that didn't work with some USB cables, although the cables weren't particularly bad. It was rather a PCB design issue with the high speed traces.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back