Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

usage of Car Battery in UPS

Status
Not open for further replies.

hameeds01

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Car Battery in UPS

i'm using a car Battery 12v 100AH Non maintenance free in my UPS, what r the disadvantages of using ordinary car battery in UPS???

Car Battery in UPS

Is the UPS a portable or a regular one? and too mention the capacity of the same. What battery was recomended/ used by the UPS manufacturer? Cheers

Re: Car Battery in UPS

Batteries recommend by UPS manufacture r Valve Regulated Lead Acid maintenance free battery, Capacity 90Ah to 200Ah

the Battery that came with it by company
C&D Technologies Power Solution
Type: FAM 12 - 150

Car Battery in UPS

If the charger is capable of charging the connected batteries, and the UPS is designed to operate for long durations (Portables will be designed for short duration) you may use the car batteries without any problems..Cheers

Hi,

Is that Battery an Sealed type?

If yes, then its life is just 2 to 3 years without an Desulphation (Desulfation) Circuit. This is because the Lead Plates are Very Pure....!

If its not an Sealed Battery, then don't forget to check the Electrolyte level once in 3 months. And, Just add Distilled Water NOT ACID or TAP WATER....!

Bye,
PRAVARDHAN

UPS is long duration with External Battery, so it means its safe to use Car battery with UPS + it has no Disadvantage right??

but one of my friend told me that car batteries r usually designed for delivering high current for short durations just to run the starter motor & they r not capable of deliveing power for long durations.
According to him car batteries & UPS batteries have different Plates thickness & chemistry so one can't interchange them . . .

Car Battery in UPS

That is correct.
A car battery is ruined if it is discharged too far.
A UPS battery (a deep discharge type) will keep on discharging for a long time then will be good for another many charges.

Motor homes and fork lift trucks use deep discharge batteries.

hameeds01 said:
UPS is long duration with External Battery, so it means its safe to use Car battery with UPS + it has no Disadvantage right??
but one of my friend told me that car batteries r usually designed for delivering high current for short durations just to run the starter motor & they r not capable of deliveing power for long durations. According to him car batteries & UPS batteries have different Plates thickness & chemistry so one can't interchange them . . .
You'll have absolutely no problems. ..Yes..your friend is right for certain extent when he says the chemistry and the plates are different. But it is a fact that the car batteries too power your Car music player, Lights and other on board gadgets in the car for a long time apart from cranking.
I do agree with "audioguru" and you'll have to note when he says "A car battery is ruined if it is discharged too far."
When your charging and discharging cycles are in safe limits of the battrey, you can use them. I am personally using a truck battery 12 volt 180 AH for my 800VA inverter since 4 years+ now without any problems.
Cheers

You'll have absolutely no problems. ..Yes..your friend is right for certain extent when he says the chemistry and the plates are different. But it is a fact that the car batteries too power your Car music player, Lights and other on board gadgets in the car for a long time apart from cranking.

but in car there is an alternator to provide continous power

hameeds01 said:
but in car there is an alternator to provide continous power
Yes there is an alternator. But you can still run the said gadgets for hours without starting the engine. Of course the battery will be drained due to that and you'll have to push your car to start the engine again :D...Cheers

https://www.howstuffworks.com/question219.htm

CAR BATTERY
A car's battery is designed to provide a very large amount of current for a short period of time. This surge of current is needed to turn the engine over during starting. Once the engine starts, the alternator provides all the power that the car needs, so a car battery may go through its entire life without ever being drained more than 20 percent of its total capacity. Used in this way, a car battery can last a number of years. To achieve a large amount of current, a car battery uses thin plates in order to increase its surface area.

UPS/INVERTER BATTERY
A deep cycle battery is designed to provide a steady amount of current over a long period of time. A deep cycle battery can provide a surge when needed, but nothing like the surge a car battery can. A deep cycle battery is also designed to be deeply discharged over and over again (something that would ruin a car battery very quickly). To accomplish this, a deep cycle battery uses thicker plates.

so it means i have to put back my Car battery in the car again, & use a ups tpye C&D Technology battery in my UPS, thankx guys

If you assume that you want to use a car battery, rather than the intended deep cycle battery, for cost reasons (you have one lying around), sure! Go ahead and use it!

If it is not a sealed type you have to be careful to not tip it over and possibly spill acid all over your house.

It will not live as long as a deep cycle battery, but it is probably free so who cares.

DO check water level often if it is not a sealed type, as this new application might tend to overcharge it a little and bubble off the water.

As with ALL lead acid batteries, they CAN give off oxygen and hydrogen, which is explosive, when charging. Do not use it in a small confined space, like a closet, or where there are lots of sparks nearby.

I agree, that it's plausible to expect different specifications for car and UPS batteries. But I don't see, that the properties that have been ascribed in the discussion to special UPS batteries can be verified e.g. from the linked datasheet. In my opinion these batteries look almost like modern car batteries, e.g regarding current delivery.

I also doubt, that any lead acid battery can withstand repeated deep discharge. I fear, it's a myth. Operation of a car and UPS battery is actually similar in applied charging method. Both have an automatic constant current/constant voltage charger.

The specialized UPS batteries still may have a higher lifetime expectation than standard car batteries. But I wouldn't expect extreme differences. I'm not sure, if the flash arrester feature can also be assumed for standard car batteries. It may be a safety requirement in larger batterie assemblies.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back