Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

ur opinion on technology scaling for Analog design

Status
Not open for further replies.

pbs681

Full Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi All,

I think technology scaling give more disadvantages to the analog design area. Take for example, the headroom is less, so we need to increase the size... also, the intrinsic gain is lower as we scale the tech... what do you think guys???

thanks

Without any doubt, the scaling ads a huge amount of problems. With the scaling the speed increases only, instead we get a lot of other problems such as gain, mismatches, transconductance :cry:

pros and cons
As a designer,your only choice is to live with it and try to take advantage of it

fanshuo said:
pros and cons
As a designer,your only choice is to live with it and try to take advantage of it

yes, it has pros and cons, but i think it has more cons than pros....

A very important pro is that you can use digital calibration to fix the analog problems since a few thousand gates are not going to change your size by much anymore...

Voltage reduction and less analog features are the most serious issue:

Take a analog filter application, still more energy efficient than ADC+DSP:

Filter caps are designed for SNR. Cap size goes by C~1/VDD^2. Driving current of the filter stages is I~C. Power is then P~1/VDD

250nm 3.3V 1.00*Ibias 1.00*P
130nm 1.5V 4.84*Ibias 2.20*P
65nm 0.9V 13.44*Ibias 3.67*P

That is if there is no speed limitation. If speed limitation in some circuits you can trade more power for this filter. Or finally decide to use multichip solutions. I see it as a very popular trend to use multitech chipsets.

I remember ther was an article than depending on the specific analog function there is performance max tech, a power min tech and a cost min tech.

So depend on the application and usage what is the way to go.

Mostly cons..Some designer rarely use minimum length even it's available.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back