Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Ultra low noise op-amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

kishore2k4

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi guys,

The op-amp I am working on is used to sense changes in very small capacitance(femtofarads). To get a predefined sensitivity, the input capacitance of the op-amp is limited to 1pF. I tried the usual topologies like two-stage miller op-amp, folded cascode, telescopic cascode etc. For all the cases I am able to reach a noise level of around 40nV/sqrt(Hz) at 10kHz(The input signal is chopper stabilized at that frequency).

I tried optimizations within those topologies but am not able to make further progress. Is it even possible to reach sub-10nv/sqrt(Hz) with severely limited input MOSFET size in 0.35um process?

I've seen subthreshold designs but their input transistors are quite big. If I were to use that technique I have to reduce the current thereby sacrificing unity-gain bandwidth, which I don't want to do.

Any suggestions or ideas to try out? Thanks!

... Is it even possible to reach sub-10nv/sqrt(Hz) with severely limited input MOSFET size in 0.35um process?

J. H. Nielsen and E. Bruun, “A CMOS low-noise instrumentation amplifier using chopper modulation,” Analog Integrated Circuits and Signal Processing, vol. 42, pp. 65–76, Jan. 2005.

This paper describes a folded-cascode topology micropower CMOS chopper stabilized amplifier for biomedical application (nerve signals) produced in a 0.35µm process, which is said to exhibit an input referred thermal noise voltage of 7nV/√Hz - unfortunately the associated frequency isn't stated. Power consumption is given as 245µW at 1.8V .

Sorry I don't own this paper; just found it mentioned in Binkley's book David M. Binkley "Tradeoffs and Optimization in Analog CMOS Design", pp. 483 & 484 . Perhaps you can get hold of the paper.

Thank you for the reference, it's an interesting read. The chopper frequency is 20kHz. The paper is freely available at **broken link removed**

Reactions: erikl

erikl

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back