Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

triac negative gate current

Status
Not open for further replies.

spartekus

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
negative gate current for triac

Hi all,

I need to do mcu based triac for inductive load. Microcontroller will decide when to open and close triac.
As much as i have learnt, there are 4 quadrants to drive triac. and fourth quadrant is not good. So it needs to be done with 2. 3. quadrants.

For that i need to give negative gate current to triac (please correct me, if i am wrong).
Does anyone know, how to create negative gate current for Triac, from Microcontroller?
Thanks a lot
Best regards

On a microcontroller, the usual way to power it is
Vdd= +5, and Vss =0 = common

To create negative current sourcing, it must be powered the other way around.
Vdd= 0 = common, and Vss = -5.

If this confuses you, there are Triacs which are specified to be triggerable in 4 quadrants, like these:
https://www.littelfuse.com/products/switching-thyristors/triac/qxx10xx-qxx10hx/q4010r4.aspx

The 4th quadrant trigger current will always be higher than the other three.

Or you can use a Triac optocoupler like the MOC3020 and trigger on quadrants 1 and 3.

thanks for your answer.
i should use 3 quadrant i think, because of my inductive load.

Can i use optocoupler with a microcontroller(microcontroller will give order and optocoupler will create positive and negative impulse),
can it be done like on the photo below?(it will be then 1. and 3. quadrants)
Capture.PNG

Read the MOC3020 datasheet for the proper driving circuit and snubber.

There are optocoupler variants that require lower LED current (around 5 mA) to trigger properly. I would recommend to use those, to reduce the microcontroller's current output.

Status
Not open for further replies.