Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Transistor speed when used as a switch

Status
Not open for further replies.

waqaryounas

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
lets say if transistor has time period of 20ns then we can say that it can transfer 50Mbits/s when used as a switch, right? Is it?

speed of transistor

What do you mean by time period?

speed transistor

Hi there,
Every transistor has a rise time (Tr) and a fall time (Tf). You cannot use a signal with a frequency that has a period (frequency = 1/period) smaller than the sum of these times. The datasheet usually give directly the frequency(Hz) the transistor can operate on.

To answer your question 20ns period = 50Mhz frequency.

Regards

Nic

power transistor speed

your question is not clear.
1)switching is dependent to f and power is dependent to f ,maybe your transistor can't do it because switching has losses thus power is an important factor because transistor has a max power can bear.
2)the datasheet give a transfer frequency(Ft) and means that this frequncy is the max frequncy that transistor can act as amplifier but in practical circuit this is true for Ft/3

what is the speed of transister

Actually I want to modulate the data on laser and for that I need a fast switching transistor. So I wanna know how many number of bits I can transfer by the switching of transistor if it has total time period of 20ns...I know the frequency I get is 50MHz...but is the bit rate 50Mbits/s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back