Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

transistor as diode clamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

fm101

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I tried the following circuit simulation in Proteus where transistor is used clamp the input voltage -2.5V to 2.5V to 0V to 5V but I am not getting the expected output voltage as shown in the graph. Why is it not working and how do I choose the capacitor and resistor values?

1.jpg

4.jpg

3.jpg

Solution
I understand the problem differently.

You want to clamp negative voltage but post #1 circuit clamps positive voltage. Wrong transistor polarity.

After flipping the polarity you'll get -0.7/4.3 V pulse. If you want ideal 0/5V output, a more complex circuit is required.
I could be wrong, but it seems to me people are confusing clamping with clipping. A circuit that changes a -2.5V/+2.5V signal to 0V/5V is a clamp. A circuit that limits excursions beyond +/-2.5V is a clipper.

For minimum offset of a simple clamp, use a large (e.g. 1A) Schottky diode instead of a transistor:
The capacitor value you need depends upon the input frequency and the output load resistance.

1667189605540.png

Status
Not open for further replies.