Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Top Schematic Capture and PCB Design Software Packages

Status
Not open for further replies.

dairyair

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Is there a good complete EDA package that will do Schematic capture, circuit simulation, PCB routing and editing?
Or is it better to have 2 software packages, one for schematics and one for PCB design?

What are the needed/required inputs and outputs? SPICE, Gerber, EDIF, OBT++ etc?

TY in advance.

New to this part of the electronics world.

PS - I know PADS was the king for a while, is that still true or has something better come along?

I can see this post is going to degrade into one of these pointless "I like this" threads (it already has).

See here: https://www.edaboard.com/threads/18145/

If you are going to post a reply, please read the original question and answer at least some of it - don't just post "I like Proteus" - that wasn't the question and is a pointless answer.

Otherwise this thread will be closed.

Keith.

i kinda like proteus for the job.
Are they good at doing all parts of a design? Schematic capture easy to use, circuit simulation easy and accurate? Their website was impressive. Is proteus able to communicate with different CAD/CAM software?

- - - Updated - - -

Orcad is much better

Have you used both? What makes Orcad better? I've used the schematic capture portion of Orcad in past, but never the simulation or board layout. Is this Cadence?

What is the needed input and outputs for most folks in the PCB world.
Again, I'm new to this part of the electronics world and need to source a complete package. Whethere from 1 or more sources.

hmm its got a thing called aries for pcb design.. i think its good. its able to do all sorts of things ! just see their documentation. EAGLE is another choice for PCB.

All packages can do he job, it is no use asking here (look at similar threads) cos all you'll get is personal opinion.
Howmuch do you want to pay?

Cadsoft EAGLE is the whole package in my eyes. It includes Schematic Editor, Layout Editor, Autoruter. A very good circuit board design.
For me it is the best available.

Schematic capture is how you input your circuit, most capture packages will interface with spice based simulation for analogue sims. From schematic you transfer the data to PCB, preferably automaticly, ie use a combined capture/PCB package.From the PCB lauot package you create either Gerber/Excellon or ODB++ for PCB manufacture; pick and place files and BOMs for assembly; and IDF or STEP data fro transfer to a 3D CAD package for checking fit. Depending on the types of layout and the speed of digital interfaces you may need to use a signal integrity to simulate high speed signals and check their integrity with the routing.
It is very much a case of getting what you pay for, and getting a level of package that fits in with your designs, a low cost or free package aint gonna be much use if you do multi-layer (8+) high speed designs, whereas an expensive package is overkill if you are going to do simple 2-4 basic low speed digital or analogue designs.
EDIF has never realy worked, forget it.

Hi Guys,

Check out circuits.io, a PCB editor in the browser. They have some nice features like: autorouting for schematic nets, snapping,... The modular design feature also seems cool. If you design a power supply module for example, everybody else can import that module in there design. It's still in beta, but on the right track I think.

Slorn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back