Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

To program FPGA through PCI bus

Status
Not open for further replies.

charanchandru

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi ,

In my early design i have used prom for programing an FPGA(Altera cyclone) but as per customer requirement i'm forced to give an alternate option ie to program the FPGA through PCI bus.

Is anyone knows how to make a design for FPGA-PCI programming option.Expecting your help .

Recently I have worked on that subject. I have come up with some ideas. For programming FPGAs or configuration proms from pci I suggest you take a look at the SVF and XSVF file formats. There is a application note at xilinx website called xapp058.pdf find it and it will help.

It is the easiest way to use JTAG port to program your FPGA on PCI board. But I suppose that PC motherboards may not support such abbility, because JTAG is optional in the PCI specification.

Am I right?

maksya said:
It is the easiest way to use JTAG port to program your FPGA on PCI board. But I suppose that PC motherboards may not support such abbility, because JTAG is optional in the PCI specification.

Am I right?

Well it depends.
I worked with XILINX vertix II, where it had special JTAG connector from XILINX to convert PCI interface to JTAG interface. It made life much easy. The device is auto detected and had driver from xilinx.

Status
Not open for further replies.