Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Timer1 with external Crystal on PIC16F88

Status
Not open for further replies.
pic 16f88 xtal

I posted 4 precision RTC methods using the PIC's external oscillator. 2 of them use Timer1. They are as accurate as any other RTC, and since they are interrupt based you can use them for other typical non-interrupt based microcontroller functions.

While the code is written in mikroBasic, the registers are very transparent in the code and easily understood to be made into assembly. The Timer1/CCP example is my recommendation. Once the registers are set up it's no problem to keep accurate time.

And what's happening to electronics these days.... does anyone actually build a real circuit anymore?

problema osccon icd

BlackOps said:
yes i did try, i tried it in MPLAB SIM and in PROTEUS. so it doesnt work neither there nor here. and one more question, can i use 20MHz crystal on RB6,7 then? or i must use ONLY 32.768Khz? and do i have to connect another crystal to OSI inputs? or only ONE crystal on RB6 and RB7? thanks

ONLY 32.768KHz crystal on RB6 & 7 some of the older TIMER1 osc worked with upto 200KHz but never anything over that.

Just the 32KHz is all you need on RB6 & 7. If you want to use 20MHz it hooks up to RA6 & 7

Again take a look at the Dragonfly kit documentation on my site, it should answer most of your questions about using a 32KHz watch crystal on a PIC and using the CCP1 special event interrupt which is very easy to program for a 1 second interrupt with a 32KHz crystal on TIMER1

Added after 2 minutes:

xorcise said:
And what's happening to electronics these days.... does anyone actually build a real circuit anymore?

Good question, EDA board is more of a looking for a handout, or do my homework for me kinda place.

crystals in pic16f88

xorcise said:

i think u should look for it at the Hobby Circuits and small project topic on the edaboard forum... :D

timer1 problem in 16f886

I have Proteus too, but I build and test in the real world mostly. Do companies actually hire you virtual electronics guys? I know I wouldn't hire someone who didn't sport some solder burns on his fingers, or burn holes in the lap of his pants... :D

Status
Not open for further replies.