Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

The difference between Asymptotic approximation (Saddle point method) and Simpson rule for estimating the integral

Status
Not open for further replies.

gemmy94

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I am estimating the scattering field from these below integrals by asymptotic approximation (saddle point method) for H and E polarizations, respectively.

\begin{align}

I_{\text{H}} &= 2jka\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\cos({\varphi + \phi_0 - \phi}) e^{jka[\cos{\varphi} + \cos({\varphi + \phi_0 - \phi})]} \ d\varphi. \\

I_{\text{E}} &= -2jka\int_{-\pi/2}^{\pi/2}\cos{\varphi}~e^{jka[\cos{\varphi} + \cos({\varphi + \phi_0 - \phi})]} \ d\varphi.

\end{align}

\[ \phi_0 \] is already known.

Then the results are compared with one by using Simpson rule. The difference between two methods is calculated in the range of \[\phi = [0^{\circ},360^{\circ}]\] as following

\begin{align}

\text{Error} = \big|\text{uI} - \text{nI}\big|^2,

\end{align}

in which \[\text{uI}\] is the result estimated by asymptotic solution, \[\text{nI}\] is the result estimated by Simpson rule. The \[\text{Error}\] values for H and E cases as in the figure.
The figure shows the average value for the range \[\phi = [0^{\circ},360^{\circ}]\] with each \[ka\].
\begin{align}

\text{Error}_{average} = \frac{\text{Error}_{0^{\circ}}+\text{Error}_{1^{\circ}}+...+\text{Error}_{360^{\circ}}}{361}

\end{align}
I have no idea why different integrals give us the same \[\text{Error}\] as calculating following the third equation.
I have checked the data and see that for each value of observation angle \[\phi\] the \[\text{Error}\] between two polarization are always opposite in sign.
For example
\begin{align}

\text{Error}_H = \text{uI}_H - \text{nI}_H &= a + bj, \\
\text{Error}_E = \text{uI}_E - \text{nI}_E &= -a - bj.

\end{align}
Could someone please explain for me why the \[\text{Error}\] between H and E polarizations are always like that.
Thank you very much!

Error.PNG

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back