Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

synthesizable delays...

Status
Not open for further replies.

raja1982y

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am new to this group. I am new to design.

How can i design a module that consists of synthesizable delays. For example after assertion of "en" signals wait 2,3 or 4 clock cycles and then assert "strobe" signal. The delays are programmable. How can introduce the synthesizable delays between "en" and "strobe" signals.

Thanks,
Raja.

u can use a counter to count the number of cycles desired and then assert or deassert the required signals.
No delays like #3 or wait are synthesizable.

if i have so many signals with different delays then there will be so many counters. If i synthesize the code there will be so many counters created. what about the performance of the module?

Thanks.

Hi,
You need just one counter, preferably a counter that counts down instead of up. Then load your 'programable' delay value in this counter then, let it count down until it reaches 0. At 0 value, assert your strobe.
Hope it helps, let me know if it works for you, if not, then time permitting, I may be able to do a small code for you
Kr,
Avi
http://www.vlsiip.com

Is counters is the only way or there any other methods for implementing the synthesizable delays?

-Rj

Yes, Counter is the only way you are going to accomplish it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back