Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switching frequency of irf740

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasidhar60

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi,
i want to know the maximum switching frequency of irf740.
anyone help me out please

FETs don't really have a defined max switching frequency. Closest thing to that are the switching rise and fall times, which are given in the datasheet. In general the switching times should be very short compared to the ON time (1-5%).

The IRF740 claims switching times of 10ns (though the fall time will probably be much longer if you don't have an inductive load). I'd estimate that operation up to 500KHz could be feasible.

You should choose a switching frequency for which the overall losses would be low and the benefits would outweigh the problems. You need to consider the rise and fall times and so the associated switching losses. You also need to keep in mind the gate charge and current required to drive the gate at the frequency you choose. You would also need to think about other components that will be affected by the frequency, such as capacitors, transformer, inductors, diodes, etc.

Did you ask the question just out of curiousity, or is it related to a design?

Hope this helps.
Tahmid.

Dear sasid
Hi
The usual way to judge about frequency of each mosfet is : Tr+Tf and 20 percent higher than this ( tr and tf of each mosfet told in relevant datasheet ) .
Best Wishes
Goldsmith

Status
Not open for further replies.