Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switched power supply design help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

dpechman

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi guys,
do you know some software to help the design of switched power supplies?
how can i start?
tks,
Daniel

Manufacturers of the controller ICs have tutorials and free simulation software on their web sites.

maybe you can use Pspice to simulate the switch power supply's work.
the best way is that design a simplest circuit by yourself, and make it work, then see its waveform and analyse why it is in case.

One of the critical components of SMPS is the transformer or inductor.
Sometimes you have to design your own. The following softwares are helpful.

Ansoft PExpert
Magnetic Designer

Online calculator:
**broken link removed**

Well a good start coul be to visit www.powerint.com
Download their PI Expert soft wich will help in the design.
They have app´s notes that will teach U a lot. See also their ER ( engineering reports ) wich contains complete SMPS designs including PCB lay out. This is very important !!!

I attach a file wich contains many links to places wich has lot of info.

Also have a look at www.onsemi I suggest U try a sofware. Power 4-5-6 although is a limited version this will fast your component selection.

Let me know if U need further assistance.

Hi there, I agree that it is good to develop a basic one and observe to learn.

However, if you insist to first try to simulate, you can try Linear Tech. Sorry to say that I cant provide you the exact link to this software but I believe you should be able to google for it.

As for developing one to observe and learn the behaviour of the switch mode power supply circuitry, I suggest you to start with a basic boost DC/DC converter, which is much easier as compare to others.

Hope to hear from you regarding your progress...

I hear the "Saber Soft" is a good tool to design SMPS. It can easily deal with magnetic device. That soft is made by AVANT! Cor.

Status
Not open for further replies.