Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

switch capacitor integrator

Status
Not open for further replies.

firsttimedesigning

Full Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
capacitor integrator

so i have designed a switch capacitor integrator (please see file switch-cap integrator). unforturnately, the result looks very weird. (please see file sc-output)
but if i replace the opamp with an ideal opamp, then the result becomes correct. (please see file sc-output(idealopamp)).

So i believe the problem is casued by the opamp that i have designed. But how can i make my opamp better so that the result looks like that of the ideal one?
The opamp that i designed has high gain(about 80dB) and high bandwidth(1Ghz). What else can i do?

switched cap autozero

Looks like switching noise to me, exactly as I'd expect.
Kill the switches before you read and it'll be fine.

I've built several SC integerators on chip, (different architecture and useage) and I would expect to see that with small capacitances (my capacitances were tied to ground), the noise decreased as the size of the ap increased. But you just kill the clocks when you read out. If you zoom in on the wave form, I bet you'll see that the spikes are quite narrow, and the output is actually at the expected value for 80-90% of the clock period

Kill the switches?
but if take out the switches, then it wont be "switch" capacitor, which is not what i want...yes, indeed, the spikes are narrow and i have no idea how to get rid of them...

Enlarge the switch NMOS width W, and gate voltage if possible.
But the sampling cap is so small ,larger W may contribute large charge injection....
So i think there has trade-off between then.

maybe because the on-resistance of switch is large, it corrupts the integrator frequency response in integration phase. you can increase the switch width and its gate control voltage to reduce its on-resistance and try it again.

firsttimedesigning said:
Kill the switches?
but if take out the switches, then it wont be "switch" capacitor, which is not what i want...yes, indeed, the spikes are narrow and i have no idea how to get rid of them...

Yes, but not forever!

It will be an integrator before you kill the switches and it will be an integrator when you turn them back on. All your doing is making sure there is no spike whilst youre reading the value.
But this is most suitable if you are integrating over a set period and want to read the value at the end.

You can try and make things bigger to minimise the effect as I said, but it is largely cosmetic. as long as you're not sampling and holding the top of a peak.

one improvement can be replace all the NMOS switches with Transmission Gates,
make the nmos/pmos in the TG to be the same size to reduce the charge injection.

To Nick,

Thx for the reply, Yeah I can see how that works. Read in the value after i kill the switches. But is there anyway to get rid of the spikes? or rather to decrease the magnitude of the spikes? Make the graph looks like the one that uses ideal op-amp

To Fox,
Thx for the reply, i have tried TG and dummy switches but neither one of them can get rid of the spikes....

u should change a bigger sample cap, and try again.
maybe the problem comes from your op , i think.

me also got the same problem when designing the switched cap int.
i think the problem is with switches only. i have used the tr gates with large width then also i am getting very small spikes but it reduces compared to nmos switches.
how to reduce it completely.

me also getting same problem

can we increase the gate voltage(in this case clock) above the supply voltage.
i am using 3.3v supply and the clock voltage of 3.3v . can i increase it beyond 3.3v

In switches, increasing W/L reduces the ON resistance, but the increased Cgs, contributes to the feedthrough that u see at the output. U may use bottom plate sampling techniques to minimize it.

Added after 1 minutes:

NMOS switch produces a negative error after injection, and PMOS produces a positive error. Proper sizing of the two in a transmission gate may help u nullify the injection voltages. But note that this canceling of injection voltages happens only for one value of Vin..

Added after 2 minutes:

When source node (input node) of a switch increases, the effective gate -source voltage decreases, and the switch may turn OFF. To combat this effect, gate is made to increase even above Vdd !!! Refer the paper by Abo and Gray, "10 bit 14.3 MSPS pipelined ADC". This ll explain the clock boosting scheme...

Sidharth

decrease size of the switches, reduce the gain of the opamp a little bit

Switch capacitor integrator term is new to me, I read it first time 8O
I read about it was something like few couple of switches and a capacitor are used to simulate a resistor, but why do we want to make artifical type of resistor, why don't we add a real resistor?

1) Try to use a large R (not affect your BW) shunting with your feedback Cap if you use the real opamp. re-run the simulation to see what's the difference.
2) For your clock stimulus, make sure you are using 2 phase non-overlapping clocks. The non-overlapping period could be roughly 1-5% of the high level period.

Since this is a sampled-data circuit, like Nick said, those switching transients don't matter a great deal. The useful data is in the voltage level between the clock spikes. Your ADC will sample the voltage and won't see the spikes. If you are going to use the output in a continuous system, you'd need to run it through a lowpass filter anyway to wipe out the frequency content past Nyquist...

hi
I think If you change circuit to differantial mode,all of problem caused by charge injection and clock feedthrough are solved. in the other word in differential mode the effect of clock feedthrough is completly canceled and the effect of charge injection is decreased significantly. however if you decresed the sampeling frequency to about 50khz the behaviour of circuit will be better due to decerement of charge injection and clock feed through

Hi,

I will be a bit extensive on this as I made a patent on a SC ADC and I studied all the above.

You need to build an integrator : First sample the input then through it to the output . I will use it as follows: So M5-M2, M3-M6 should work together securing a sample and hold scheme.

Then, let's see main problems of this topology:

1. Clock Feedthrough,
2. Switch glitches,
3. Opamp Offset
4. Capacitor mismatch.

Then, an opamp should be a two stage OTA with high current drive on the output in order to avoid delays and erronius output due to slow charging etc.

1.Clock feedthrough and part of the glithing problems can indeed be corrected with a fully differential OPAMP.

2.Glitches will definite be away if you use dummy switches of equal size on the two sides of each switch, controlled by the complementary clock that controls the main switch. This will result in giving the remaining charges an equal path to both directions and negate part of the glitching. The Transmission gate will take care the rest.

3.Opamp offset is a tricky one. It "seats" there on start up and you can avoid it. But you can hide it! Sample the opamp input on a capacitor right before the input on its inergrator sampling ( when M5-M2 are on). This is the auto zero technique.The other plate of the capacitor will be connected via a switch to the ground or the common voltage ( in case of a differential topology). Then when
the input will be applied there the offset voltage of teh opamp will have allready been negated by the charged capacitor. This will be happening on every sampling. Offset is off!

4. Capacitor mismatch is the hardest thing to avoid. That's why I have a patent on it (he,he)! If it is just for schematic you need to take no further measures.

I hope I helped a bit,

D.

i think the problem comes from the op. maybe the input Vcm is not right, it can be
zero ? bcos, the ideal op is all right.

i think the problem comes from the opamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back