Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for low voltage opamps

Status
Not open for further replies.

dan4oto

Newbie level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
i need to measure current in circuit with a 3.3V microcontroller(pic24 series).
My question is: what op amp have I to use. Now I'm using LM358, but the simulation in TINA-TI shows, that max output voltage from OA is les than 2 V.
And what should i prefer: differential ampl (high side measurment), or low side measurement with non-inverting amplifier?
The circuit:

Low voltage op amps

You are going measure voltage difference beside R6 and calculate the current. is it right?
I think you should use instrument amplifier. differential amplifier has relatively low input Z that can affect input Z of system. many instrument amplifers have adjustable gain option that will suit for your work. :D

Re: Low voltage op amps

Maybe a have to make my question more concrete: The solution has to be simple :) The main problem is the non-linearity near to supply voltage and ground. Also the range of measurement: 20mA-500mA or (*0,1ohm) 0.2mV-5mV.
With others words: how can I achieve wider measurement range by higher gain, keeping high linearity, and that all using simple and cheep IC :)

Low voltage op amps

I guess the easy solution is a chip designed for the job:

**broken link removed**

There are plenty of alternative high side current sense chips around. Otherwise, you need an instrumentation amplifier, or at least an opamp with very low offset.

Keith.

Low voltage op amps

Hi,
I thiktoo, that a dedicated IC is the best solution...
As OP it must have not only ( low offset, but it must be a RRIO type too!
K.

Re: Low voltage op amps

keith1200rs said:
**broken link removed**
It seems to be a very good solution.

Thank you, Keith!

Status
Not open for further replies.