Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Avalance pulser low voltage?

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi I have seen this avalance puser and I want to try it.

1. Will it produce one spike pet trigger pulse, and then stop as the trigger pulse is removed?

2. Can I drive it with a sinewave and will it produce 1 pulse per positive sinewave peak, if adequate signal level is provided?

3. How about lower voltages, should I find a BJT with lower Collector emitter breakdown voltage? (I am not sure if I will have to look for lower or higher current at that breakdown voltage)

Attachments

• Simplified-schematic-of-avalanche-pulse-generator.png
    Simplified-schematic-of-avalanche-pulse-generator.png
    32.7 KB · Views: 61
1. Once triggered, transistor in avalanche breakdown is not controllable by base voltage. Pulse is either terminated by suitable designed output circuit or transistor will be destroyed.
2. Slow rising trigger can work under circumstances but expect reduced output pulse quality.
3. It's generally assumed that the voltage range for avalanche breakdown operation is between Vcb,max and Vce,max. Also that transistors with thin, low doped epitaxial layer are preferred.

I haven't yet seen avalanche pulsers with operation voltage < 50 V.

neazoi

Helpful Answer Positive Rating

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: