Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggestions for DC Power Supplies

Status
Not open for further replies.

abicash

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a requirement which demands use of a very low cost DC power supply for a stationed unit.I have a 12V with not more than 200mA max current requirement.
I could use a standard Transformer-rectifier-filter-regulator(7812/317) but the catch is "VERY LOW COST"
I am thinking of using DC-DC converters..but will it keep the costs down?
Is it really possible to keep costs very-very low (maybe<20cents)
I want some suggestion here,if it can really be done?
Thanks for any pointers in advance

The transformer is a major cost. Is it necessary?

I think transformer can be eliminated.Only that isolation is poor.I wanted to know whether a 200mA load can be driven.People use it for smaller loads (<15mA)
Take a look at this
or this

My requirement is
Mains i/p=230V/50Hz
O/p=12Vdc @ 200-300mA

If the transformer can be eliminated, you can use a capacitor for step-down. Be careful, lack of isolation is dangerous! And, you can use some discrete components to replace the 7812 or 317 for low cost.

pls check the link:**broken link removed**
maybe it is useful for you

Hi thanks all for the tips...I am close to cracking it and this month I would be using that in a project :)

The transformer is a major cost. Is it necessary?

Hi all,
So working more on my project,I have cut down on most resources and peripherals.
I require now
5V@50-60mA
(or even lesser)
My actual load is a 5V relay,a small Freescale microcontroller and a Vishay IR detector.So really the most power consuming part would be the relay,which I am still looking for a better volume price.

My customer requires power dissipation <0.5W,and I cant see a TL431 ckt or directly using mains with an RC taking me anywhere with substantial Power dissipation.Power dissipation has to be <0.5W

I cannot use a transformer too..since the project has to be <$2 and that including the power supply
So anymore help would be appreciated.
Thanks and regards

Hi
I almost forgot to mention all these days about a wonderful device which I have used for my xmerless power supply from Power Integration which has substantially reduced my power dissipation and cost.
Check this **broken link removed**

I can get good currents (up to 300mA @5V).Although its not isolated but its the same thing I needed!:D

Status
Not open for further replies.