Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

DC/DC converter for inverter

Manni

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everyone,

I want to design a DC/DC converter that can produce half-waves for a grid tie inverter. The nominal input voltage is 41V and the ouput power is about 400W. Output voltage is 250V RMS, so I need about 350V peak voltage. The targeted efficiency is 96% or higher. I have looked at various topologies, especially interleaved Flyback Converters, LLC Converters and the Push-Pull Converter. At this point I believe the best way to move forward is using a push-pull converter, but I am open for other suggestions! Is it possible to achieve the targeted efficiency of 96% with a push-pull converter and how do I need to design the transformer in order to achieve that?

Regards

Simplistic simulation showing operation in a grid-tied inverter.

Link to Falstad's animated interactive simulator. Clicking it:

* opens website falstad.com/circuit
* loads my schematic
* runs it on your computer.

grid-tied inverter step-up xfmr (H-bridge 41 VDC supply) grid is both bias and load .png

1) House voltage provides AC bias signals to H-bridge. Power supply is single polarity.

2) H-bridge sends 41 V_peak AC (several Amperes) to transformer primary.

3) Transformer steps up AC manifold (10 X).

4) Transformer secondary sends 230 VAC (a few Amperes) to grid.

--------------------------------------------
Overall parasitic resistance has to be minimized.

For the system to carry hundreds of Watts, it seems more practical to utilize the entire primary full time, rather than make a center-tapped primary switch alternately between the halves and furthermore step up voltage 20X through each half.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back