Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Suggest hardware configuration compatible with Linux and IC5

Status
Not open for further replies.

hrkhari

Full Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hardware Configuration

Hi Guys:

I'm planning to construct a workstation which is to be operated with Linux 7.3 or 8.0 operating system. The main purpose of this workstation is to install Cadence Custom IC Design Tool. I heard many issues on hardware incompability of this suite in Linux OS.

I would appreciate if you could suggest the latest hardware configuration which is compatible in running both Linux OS and IC 5.0. I'm also planning to get a 17' LCD monitor, what are the manufacturer supported by Linux?.

Thank You

Rgds

Re: Hardware Configuration

What Linux distro are you planning to use? On it depends mainly hardware compatibility. When you have chosen the distro, you can select the hardware (Mandrake, for instance, has a list of supported devices).
And concerning Custom IC Design, your best choice is to use the support team of Cadence. If they don't know the problems on linux platforms, who will know? :D

https://www.cadence.com

Re: Hardware Configuration

Id use the new RHEL 3 if your going to be using EDA tools, they are currently being updated for that distribution. It is available for 32-bit x86, 64-bit AMD 64 and 64-bit Intel EMT. I would avoid the Intel EMT as the memory performance is very very bad due to the 64-bit impelentation. Redhat mentioned this and is aware of it, hence I cant recommend it.

Depending on your budgest I suggest a DUAL Opteron machine based on Tyan Thunder K8W (tiger version is cheaper and is ATX based but only 4 DIMM slots and only PCI VS PCI-X) with processor speed of your choice. I put priority on RAM before upping the speed on the CPU's

The key to hardware capability is to choose well known brand name components and check that drivers are available for your distibution.
Try searching with google to check compatability, DONT GO WITH DODGY BRAND'S, COMPONENTS AND CHIPSETS.

Processors=DUAL 1.8Ghz upto 2.2Ghz
RAM=Crucial ECC Reg PC3200, at least 4GB (1GB x 4 DIMMS, adding more than 4GB will allow you full 4GB threads in linux using 32-bit applications)
Motherboard(only AMD chipset based!!, AND enermax PSU 480W++)=Tyan Thunder K8W or tiger.
Video=preferably a quadro board, only nvidia cards, fx1000 is fine.
Storage=SCSI or SATA, Adaptec controllers only as I know they work great in RHEL 3 and they have drivers for it.
Network=Both tyan boards have linux drivers.

Kleo

Status
Not open for further replies.