Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sudden trace width change effects

Status
Not open for further replies.

LandLack

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I know that if you suddently change the trace width, you "encounter" a reflection caused by the characteristic impedance (correct me if I'm wrong), but I would like to know how much. My maximum working frequency is 1.5 GHz.
The reason for this is the following: I need to know which attenuator is the best: YAT-15 or PAT-15; apparently, the former has a better VSWR (1.04), but it's footprint has too little pads (0.30 mm vs the 1.6 mm of the trace), while the latter has worser VSWR (1.4) but a smaller pad size "mismatch" (1.5mm vs the 1.6 mm of the trace).
I would like to know which choice is the better overall, and If there's any way or rule to "soften" the trace width change to reduce the problems.

Here are the links for the two devices:
PAT-15 ==> **broken link removed**
YAT-15 ==>**broken link removed**

Thank you in advance for your advice,
Regards,
Landlack

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back