Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Stepper motor controller

Status
Not open for further replies.

muhendisss

Newbie level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi everybody,

I'm considering to buy this item : **broken link removed**

My question is that,will I need extra circuitry to be able to control stepper motors using serial port?Im not experienced so I'm open to suggestions from experienced members about stepper motors and serial port control of them.
[Extra info : I have 3 small stepper motors for 3 axis motion,about 0.8 - 1.5 amperes , using matlab software on winxp]

Thanks

You will need the power drivers. This board gives you only the motion controller part. It will generate the direction for each motor, and the command to put one step in that direction. The faster the step command comes, the faster the motor will run.

Are your motors unipolar or bipolar types? What speed you want to run them?

An example driver is for example here **broken link removed**
This chip is for a biplor motor, and has the step and direction signals your motion controller generates. Please consider this only as an example, I don't know if it will suit your motor or application.

On this site Easy Driver stepper motor driver you find some more examples, but probably for less powerful motors

Thanks for the quick reply.Sorry I forgot to mention type of the motor.I have 3 unipolar (6 wire) motors.Speed is not the main concern, but if it is possible 2 speed options will be enough(like slow and fast mode).Using that item for which I gave the link,and 3 power drivers for each motor, will we need additional circuitry or coding in electronic level? (like pic programming) What I need is a circuitry that let me do coding only on PC side, MATLAB and use serial port for motion commands.

If you have the board from oceancontrols, the power drivers and the motors, the only thing you need extra is a serial cable.

See in the manual for the motion commands, you should be able to test in a simple terminal program (like Hyperterminal or Realterm)

I don't know how easy it is from matlab to control the serial port, but I think it is possible.

Stefaan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back