Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

stb simulation - local loop of gain-boosting amp

Status
Not open for further replies.

flyingRabbit

Newbie level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, below schematic is a fully-differential gain-boosting opamp that I'm working on right now.

I want to check the stability of a local loop that is comprised of gain-boosting amp and a source follower. So, I inserted 'diffstbprobe (red color)' as below, set it as a probe instance, and ran stb simulation (for now, I'm using ideal CMFB, so didn't use pstb).

However, the dc gain of this loop turned out to be 2.8, which is far different from my expectation. I've thought that this dc gain should be close to the gain of boosting amp, which is 114.

Please let me know if you find any mistake or wrong simulation setup.
Thank you in advance.

GEsim.png

Between source and gate you don't have a phase reversal. So I think you shouldn't reverse the phase at the output of the gain-boosting opamp.

stb has let me down enough times that I stick with the old
controlled source (input difference -> single ended mag/phase)
and calculator math. In your case an output difference is
also needed. At least you should have such a testbench
(differing only in whether you use the stb widget, or the
more old-school approach) to determine whether the circuit
is working and stb is bent, or vice versa.

This circuit exploits negative feedback, so reversing phase at the output of the gain-boosting amp is necessary.

Could you explain more details? I used stb because it is the best way of getting loop characteristic, including loading effects of feedback network/reverse transmission, etc.

... reversing phase at the output of the gain-boosting amp is necessary.
That's why you probably see such a low loop gain. Doesn't gain-boosting mean you want to boost the gain? That's why you'd have to use positive feedback, isn't it?

The dc OPs of transistors in opamp are correct? Do You use correct CMFB for all opamps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back