Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

standard cell libraries

Status
Not open for further replies.

nafaiz

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
do all industrial companies whos income based on digital ic products needs standard cell libraries....why do we use standard cell libraries to form big chips design faster but the size will be bigger

I can not understand what you saying.
Can you explain it in detailed?

what i meant was standard cell libraries are usually used in order to make big cells such as an oscillator.....these big cells can be created easier and faster by instancing library cells....here i want people's opinion about library cells whether was it really needed as big cells can also be done by creating it's layout without instancing library cells....by creating layouts without instancing library cells...the layout size can be smaller.....so...why do industries need library cells for....sorry that my recent question confused u

you can look for the answers at Artisan's or Verisilicon's website.

If anything is all designed be yourself from ground up, how can you control the complexity, and how much time do you consume to finished a project. Nowadays, time to market is more and more important, so use standard cells is uquibitous.

u must first understand need for std library so go to google and search. read any tutorials and understand need for std lib.
what ur understanding is some wrong
std lib need all design and it will tells phy, timing , area, of basic cells and it determine the speed, power, etc
read tutorials

Hi everyone,

If you go for instantiating standard cells to make a big cell in your entire design it is good only, if that cell is used once or twice.But if it is used many times then full custom designinig is better.

Also if you go for instantiating standard cells to make a big cell your room of optimization will be less ,hence it may occupy more area.But if you go for full custom designing then you can go for max. optimization.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Regards
Sandeep.

Hi..
There is some thing known as Time to Market. Full custom design takes more than the synthesis design. As many have refered synthesis is not area efficient but it is time efficient. I mean Time to market. With project cycle time getiing reduced synthesis is becoming more and more popular. As now we do not have to worry about basic library components and do not have to make layouts for them..This saves time

nitu

using std cell lib greatly relieve the pressure of current time-to-market presure.
All std cell libs are well characterized , with the sufficient information, tools can based on ur constraints and ur high level abstraction, generate the result much faster .
it is hard to image the full custom design in ASIC world. however when there is timing -critical part in ur design , std cell way may not meet ur spec. then u can consider full custom way or semi-custom with the help of std cell. all things above are well discussed throughout the web.

Standard cell is like assembly code for software enginner.

Complicated design can't be finished if we don't have such base building blocks.

sandysuhy said:
Hi everyone,

If you go for instantiating standard cells to make a big cell in your entire design it is good only, if that cell is used once or twice.But if it is used many times then full custom designinig is better.

Also if you go for instantiating standard cells to make a big cell your room of optimization will be less ,hence it may occupy more area.But if you go for full custom designing then you can go for max. optimization.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Regards
Sandeep.

i think ur reply makes sense....cheers

digital asic design is divided onto standard cell design

and full custom design, the former use standard cell to

construct system, the implementation may be not optimal.

the latter is more optimal for given system.

nafaiz said:
do all industrial companies whos income based on digital ic products needs standard cell libraries....why do we use standard cell libraries to form big chips design faster but the size will be bigger

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back