Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

standard cell characterization problem

Status
Not open for further replies.

kkkhunter

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
standard cell characterization

Now I have difficulty in setup and hold time calculation in standard cell characterizing definition. I need to compare the sequential cell delay step by step so I wish I can have program calculation in Hspice like 'for...if..'.

Or I have to use the bisection command in spice? I feel the bisection command has some problem or conflicts on the setup and hold characterization.

Anyone have the experience or some reference? Please help me. Thanks.

standard cell characterization + hspice

Cadence has a library characterization tool (called ELC), which can run spice. It does not use bisec command in spice to characterize setup/hold time as far as I know. Probably you can try writing a script to run spice and use bisec algorithm.

cell characterization definition

This is how a sample hspice template from bisection algorithm looks like, i was using it to measure setup time.

please note that u need to select the window size properly to get accurate results.

Nav

------- Sample Template -------
* DFF_top Bisection Search for Setup Time
.lib '/path of models/model.lib' corner_type
.include 'Extracted ckt netlist'
.PARAM DelayTime= Opt1 ( 0.0n, 0.0n, 4n )

.TRAN 0.1n 4n Sweep
+ Optimize = Opt1
+ Result = MaxVout
+ Model = OptMod
.MEASURE Tran MaxVout Max v(Q) Goal = `v(VDD)'
.MEASURE Tran SetupTime Trig v(D) Val = `v(VDD)/2' Fall = 1
+ Targ v(CK) Val = `v(VDD)/2' Rise = 1
.MODEL OptMod Opt
+ Method = PASSFAIL
.OPTIONS OPTLST = 1

.global vdd vss vsub
.temp 125
.param vss=0 vsub=0 vdd=1.0v
VVSS VSS 0 0
VVDD VDD 0 vdd
vd D 0 PWL (0ns vdd 1ns vdd 1.15ns vss Td = "DelayTime")
vck CK 0 PWL (0ns vss 3ns vss 3.15ns vdd)
cca Q 0 10f
ccb QN 0 10f
XFLIPFLLOP_NAME VDD VSS Q QN CK D FLIPFLLOP_NAME
.end
---------------------------------

standard cell characterization

Thanks for all your help.
I knew the bisection algorithm in hspice. But I think the setup time value calculated by bisection is not a well-exact value. Nowadays, the setup time is defined as follow, there is a typical D-Q delay with an infinite setup time, the expected setup time will make the D-Q delay larger than the typical delay for 10 or 30 percent. Well in bisection algorithm, the setup time judgement is pass or fail. So its precision is poor.
So I think the bisection algorithm is not suitable in standard cell characterizing definition.

Halo,

How can I obtain the SPICE files required by the ELC tool for the characterisation of a new standard cell library?

Thank you

Re: standard cell characterization

Thanks for all your help.
there is a typical D-Q delay with an infinite setup time, the expected setup time will make the D-Q delay larger than the typical delay for 10 or 30 percent..

its Ck-Q delay..not D-Q delay

- - - Updated - - -

you have to extract SPICE file from the layout for new standard cell characterization

its Ck-Q delay..not D-Q delay

- - - Updated - - -

you have to extract SPICE file from the layout for new standard cell characterization

Hi,
can you please explain me what is delay_degradation is 10% means. "actually when the clock2 Q delay reaches max delay_degradation of 10%,then we end up with the result" is This means when Clock to Q delay starts increasing at max time specified by delay_degradation...is that time the simulation will stop..?????

first you measure clk-Q reference delay by giving D input at negedge. now you start to vary the D input time wrt clk posdge ( from -5ns to +5ns) point where clk-Q delay exceeds 10% of the reference delay calculated before is the point where simulation is stopped. clk time - this time = setup time.

Thanks,
Nitin

first you measure clk-Q reference delay by giving D input at negedge. now you start to vary the D input time wrt clk posdge ( from -5ns to +5ns) point where clk-Q delay exceeds 10% of the reference delay calculated before is the point where simulation is stopped. clk time - this time = setup time.

Thanks,
Nitin

How you will measure the reference delay...?? at what time point you start..?? and is it -5ns to +5ns means around the clock pos edge (before pos edge of clock and after pos edge of clock) ...???

you can measure reference delay by giving input at previous negedge.
Yes, +- 5ns is around clock posedge.

Re: cell characterization definition

Hi,

I need to calculate the floating node in the circuit , which language code is better? Hspice or orther

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back