Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

source for transformers like in 1$ fake iPhone Chargers

Status
Not open for further replies.

fritz-net

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello guys,
I'm am looking for a transformer like the ones used in 1$ fake iPhone Chargers. I dissembled one an attached a photo of it to make it more clear.

I was wondering why I can't find such an transformer on sites like dealExtreme and aliexpress for under 1$ but the charger for 0.70$. In my case there is no need for a expinsive transformer with proper isolation and so on since I want to switch the mains with an µController anyway. Has anyone tips for other search terms or sources to get these from? Thanks for helping

EDIT: some specs for the transformer:
230V to about 7V (there will be some regulation anyhow)
don't need to be capable of many A (only some 100mA) so there is no need for a real switching supply on our side, only transformer and some diodes with smoothing caps

Attachments

• photo_2016-04-04_15-01-05.jpg
    photo_2016-04-04_15-01-05.jpg
    47.5 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:

You will find similar transformers in LED lamps. I have salvaged quite a few for experiments from dead mains operated LED lamps.

i am sure you can find them on RS or Farnell.
If not try cricklewood electronics?

The very best source for these transformers is....................a cheap $1 Iphone charger.

I'm serious. Even if you do find a place who sells them, they will cost you more than the complete charger.

I would advise that you purchase some chargers and salvage the transformers yourself. Plus there may be other components which may be worthwhile to salvage and have in your parts drawer.

Status
Not open for further replies.