Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Single phase to 3 phases AC converter using only transformers

neazoi

Advanced Member level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I would like to experiment with a single phase to 3 phase converter using only transformers.
My intention is to see how much ripple will I get, if I connect the 3 output phases together. The waveform will be more like a ripple DC, like the one attached.

From chatgpt:
"Converting a single phase transformer into a three phase transformer typically involves using multiple single phase transformers and connecting them in a specific configuration. One common method is to use three single phase transformers and connect them in a delta or wye configuration to create a three phase transformer. The primary and secondary windings of the single phase transformers are interconnected in a way that allows for the transformation of power between the three phases. This configuration provides the necessary phase shift and allows for the conversion of single phase power to three phase power."

Can you provide a simple 3 transformers circuit connection to do this?

Attachments

• 3-phase.JPG
    3-phase.JPG
    72.2 KB · Views: 52
I would like to experiment with a single phase to 3 phase converter using only transformers.
My intention is to see how much ripple will I get, if I connect the 3 output phases together. The waveform will be more like a ripple DC, like the one attached.
so far you just tell about "connecting the three output phases together". Not how.
I would expect a draft, at least.

I´m not sure what "I would like to experiment" means. So you want to use three phases or you want to generate three phases?
I guess you want to use them. So what exactly is this "single to three phase converter"?

The picture does not use the three phases only, it also invloves a three phase rectifier ... as it says in the text. If you need to know how it is done, just google "three phase rectifier circuit".

But confusingly then you say: "Converting a single phase transformer into a three phase transformer".
What now? Now you want to generate these three phases? Using one transformer? Or like ChatGPT says using three transformers?

It´s simply not clear what you want to achieve. Give clear informations. Draw a draft.

Klaus

From chatgpt:
"Converting a single phase transformer into a three phase transformer typically involves using multiple single phase transformers and connecting them in a specific configuration. One common method is to use three single phase transformers and connect them in a delta or wye configuration to create a three phase transformer. The primary and secondary windings of the single phase transformers are interconnected in a way that allows for the transformation of power between the three phases. This configuration provides the necessary phase shift and allows for the conversion of single phase power to three phase power."

Can you provide a simple 3 transformers circuit connection to do this?
The way you describe your problem makes it impossible to convert a single phase in to three phases with using only transformers. You can use a VFD inverter to do this. A VFD is a box full of electronics that can convert a single AC line in to a three-phase network.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: