Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

small input capacitance in ADC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Osawa_Odessa

Banned
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,
I have read that in ADC it is desired to have a small input capacitance. Could anyone explain to me the reason?

To filter the noise and to minimize voltage drop caused by sample cycle of ADC, thus minizing ADC error.

The input capacitance acts as a load to high frequency input signals so, if you are trying to convert a high frequency input, you want minimum input capacitance to minimize the requirements on the source that provides the signal to the ADC input.

It has nothing to do with filtering noise.

I was talking about DC and LF signals and You are talking about HF signals.

It is best to use small plastic cap vs ceramic for various reasons. Ceramic is a poor choice for sample and holds with memory issues creating noise.

I was talking about DC and LF signals and You are talking about HF signals.
I think the problem is semantics. I took the OP's statement literally and though he was referring to the intrinsic input capacitance, but you inferred that he is talking about adding a small input capacitor. You probably are right. :-?

English is a tricky language. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back