Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

SFDR in ADC input buffer

jamesjjc

Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I'm designing a two-stage amplifier with a closed-loop gain of 2 to drive an ADC by 1.6Vpp differential output swing. The load is consisted of a RC filter and ADC input impedance, overall it's a 45ohm resistive load in parallel with 3pF capacitance.
schematic.png

The main goal is to achieve high linearity within a bandwidth of 650MHz. I'm targeting a SFDR>=66dB within the BW.

As far as I know, the linearity in my buffer is mainly determined by three factors:
1. Loop gain. If the loop gain is high enough, the signal swing inside my buffer can be suppressed by the negative feedback network.
2. Input pair linearity. It should be biased by high overdrive voltage Vod to achieve linear id/vgs (or constant gm).
3. Vod > Vdsat for each transistor. So that every device with be operated in saturation region.
4. Phase margin. If the PM is too small, the circuit might be suffered from the stabilty issue.

Based on the above, if the circuit is properly biased we can say that at higher frequency, the linearity decreases since the loop gain drops after the pole frequency. So I believe the SFDR will monotonically decrease when we increase the operating frequency.
My question is that when I simulate the SFDR with PSS in cadence spectre, I found that the SFDR drops, pops and then drops at high frequency. Anyone who can explain this? Or is there any other reason that can affect my SFDR?
10MHz100MHz300MHz400MHz500MHz600MHz700MHz800MHz900MHz
SFDR (dB)82.3468.8866.4566.9967.2772.5476.1162.4356.09

Thanks, let me know if any other information is needed.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: