Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

sizing a switch using gm/Id

Status
Not open for further replies.

MFayek

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Sizing a switched capacitor circuit using gm/Id

Hi Everyone,
I've used gm/Id for sizing a diff amp before. Now I'm sizing a switched capacitor. But I only have the required Ron of the Mos switch and I don't know how to use this only info "Ron" to use the curves of gm/Id methodology. Thus I cannot determine the size. Could anyone give me a hand in this issue

Last edited:

The gm/Id curves were generated for a MOSFET in Saturation, i.e., a MOSFET with substantial Vds. The Ron of a MOSFET is meaningful when the MOSFET is in Triode, i.e. there is very little Vds, so therefore the gm/Id curve is not helpful here.

See if you can find Ids/Vds curves. You will see a rising linear (Triode) region to the left, tapering off to a level, current-output (Saturation) region to the right. The slope of the linear region in Triode will be 1/Ron for that size of transistor. If you need less Ron, you can gang up MOSFETs in parallel (i.e., increase w and decrease l).

Even better, design rules will often have the "Ron" or the "specific resistance" published in a table somewhere.

If you can't find either of these, assuming that the models your foundry sent you are halfway decent (they usually are good enough), in simulation you can place a MOSFET and apply a current to its drain, then "measure" its voltage.

Hope this helps.

Reactions: MFayek

MFayek

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
Dear ZekeR,
Thanks for ur reply, You have mentioned 3 methods here

See if you can find Ids/Vds curves. You will see a rising linear (Triode) region to the left, tapering off to a level, current-output (Saturation) region to the right. The slope of the linear region in Triode will be 1/Ron for that size of transistor. If you need less Ron, you can gang up MOSFETs in parallel (i.e., increase w and decrease l).

the Ids/Vds curves u have mentioned, you mean to plot these curves based on the result saved from sweeping a current source(attached to the drain of a Mosfet).. then getting Vds ..and plot it vs Ids for different channel lengths?? am I getting this point right.If so ,i think that third method you have mentioned is the same as the first one! Or I have missed something ??

I've used gm/Id efficiently sizing a diff amp , the problem now is to size a triode mosfets.gm/Id isn't applicable to design for required Ron for transistors in the triode region.

Triode region resistance is VDS/ID. gm is proportional to Vds.

A switched capacitor circuit often characterized by transient measurements, with specs on voltage levels at certain times. I don't see how you want to tune this with gm/Id method looking on DC operating points only. A circuit optimization software may be helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back