Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] Single chip buck with programmable voltage and current like LT8613

Status
Not open for further replies.

prasimix

Newbie level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I'm searching for a buck regulator (could be controller too) that has programmable voltage and current. The first one shouldn't be a problem but for current it should have something like Imon and Iset/Ictrl pins. In that way I can use MCU's DAC/PWM output to set both voltage and current, and also ADC inputs to monitor them.
Input voltage is 12 VDC, and output should be variable e.g. 1-5 V and up to 4-5 A (max. power 25-30 W). So far I found only one candidate LT8613. It looks fine but its tiny QFN package is not so DIY-friendly or it is? Another possibility is regulator/controller with I2C or SPI bus that can be used for programming and monitoring output voltage and current in above mentioned range.

Thanks in advance!

Got on the another side the following suggestions: LM5117 and LT3741.

It might help to know a little more about the application. Built-in current limits in IC's like that are typically for overcurrent purposes and aren't typically that accurate. Also they may or may not handle the hand-off between V and I modes the way you want. Make sure to dig into that detail if it matters to you.

It's not uncommon to handle V and I separately. For example use a switching buck for V and follow with a current limiting regulator afterward. Or build an outer current loop which can step in and limit voltage.

Status
Not open for further replies.