Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simulation of optical filters on HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

priyankguddu

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hfss optical frequency metal

Hello All,

Is it possible to simulate optical filters on HFSS. I could not get any reference or examples showing how to do this. Could anyone please help.

Also is it possible to simulate optical systems like an EDFA?

Thanks

I have the similar question. The metal in IR and higher frequency is regarded as dielectric and its pemittivity is frequency dependent. When I try to define the dielectric constant for the metal at certain frequency. The mesh number becomes enormous and it is time consuming. How to define the dielectric constant in HFSS because it is complex and the real part is negative.

This is also my question. Is it possible to simulate semiconductor behaviour in HFSS? or it works just with passive devices.

You can search it from the google.
i have projects in HFSS on Communications.but they are of Wireless

Hi

HFSS works in the frequency domain which implies a linear regime. So my answer to the linear/nonlinear question is no: HFSS can not be used for the simulation of nonlinear electromagnetic phenomena (like those involved in nonlinear optics). For these kind of phenomena the prevalent method is FDTD (Finite Difference Time Domain) but I have seen somebody using TLM also (Transmission Line Method).

Concerning the initial question (Simulation of optical filters on HFSS) in principle the answer is positive because optical filters are still linear components. In a real problem, as pointed out by alionxj, the utilization of HFSS could be very problematic (or not applicable at all) when the problem involves complex materials such as highly dispersive media (which at some frequency can be characterized by negative dielectric constants) and real conductors (which at optical frequency have to be considered as very lossy and dispersive dielectrics).

I have not posted this question to ansoft but I searched in their reference list on their website and could not find anything on this topic. Guess I've to figure it on my own. I'll let you guys know once I'm done but meanwhile please reply if anyone got any success in this

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back