Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Integrating Matching Circuit Design with HFSS Antenna Simulation

Ethan25

Junior Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi, I hope everyone is doing fine.

I designed an antenna in HFSS and used the circuit option along with the Smith chart tool to design a matching circuit. Now, I can see S11, Z11 plots and Smith charts. However, I'm wondering how to import these changes back into the HFSS model so that I can observe changes in radiation patterns, gain, and other parameters.

Thank you.

Do you really need this? Radiation pattern and gain are independent of S11, they are normalized to the power accepted by the antenna.

there is a shift in resonance now so there will be changes in rad pattern aswell right ?
You need to be careful what you discuss here.

The antenna pattern = spatial distribution of radiation does not change.
There is only a change (scaling) of absolute field levels that applies to all directions, similar to a change of transmitter power.

The defintion of antenna gain excludes the effect of mismatch. If you want to include mismatch, there is another parameter called realized gain, where the gain is lowered by the power loss from mismatch. That power loss is simply 1-|S11|^2 and applies to all directions, so on the dBi scale it is only an offset which applies to all directions.

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu:

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back