Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Simple OrCAD layout question

Status
Not open for further replies.

Slayerza

Full Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,
I have a simple question about the creation of new parts (symbol and footprint) in OrCAD. Say I create a symbol with 14 pins numbered 1..14. Further suppose I create a footprint DIP14 also pins 1..14. If I assign the DIP14 footprint to my symbol, does OrCAD map pin1 of my symbol to pin1 of my footprint?

As Im new to OrCAD from Eagle this method seems somewhat different, although I think it may be easier when working with large designs.

Thanks in advance,
Henri

Hi Slayerza,
Yes it does map the symbol and the footprint. When you make the MNL file and inport it in to layout it evaluates the number of pins on your part and compares it to the number of pins on the footprint and matches them up. If the pins names are different it not work. pin 1 must be pin 1 on the other not pin 1 and input 1 and so on. You can assign a footprint with more pins than your symbol (because there is no conflict) but you can't assign a footprint with less pins it wont know what to do with the remaining net. Hope this helps.

dfullmer

Hi,
Cool, thanks for the info. I had a feeling that the pin names had to have the same numbers not names, although I think i can quickly fix that. The fact that the amount of pins on the footprint >= than that on the symbol makes sense

well
iam learning PIC and this is my hobby site
you can refer it with many library
h**p://www.picvietnam.com/forum/showthread.php?t=177

Don't care about the Vietnamese texts, just download all the attached files.

Notes: LOGIN FIRST to download.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back