Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial to parallel output

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwt

Member level 5
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi out there..
Currently i need a serial in parallel out circuit in order to operate my circuit behind that.

I need a circuit that is able to invert the incoming serial signal and remove the start and stop bits.

I am using a MAX232 and PC16550D UART to do so. The problem i face is how to program that UART.

Anyway, i come across this website.

https://www.qsl.net/yo5ofh/hobby circuits/computer_circuits.htm

I found something interesting about the first circuit. :wink:

serial3.gif

Can this circuit operate as what i want? I need some confirmation.

Thanks!!! :eek:

when you say PARALLEL .. is it just 8 output lines that you need or a PARALLEL port ??

In the firts case is very easy and less expensive if yopu do it with a micro
PIC or avr . or any other .. The uart can be a soft uart if the speed is less than 19,200 . Otherwise there are plenty of chips with UART .. the code is just a loop and an interrupt .. You get a character and write it to a port
barly three to five lines of C code .

i imagine that your speed is not greater than 200 kbaud .. because you mention a 16550 .. ..

I need to convert the serial data from rs232 port to parallel output.
The speed im using is 9600bps.
You know about 16550 well???

The problem with the 16550 is that you will need to access its internal registers. It was designed to work along with a microprocessor and not stand alone. You need some method of programming serial parameters such as the baud rate, stop bits etc. I guess the combinations are too many to program using hardware pins.
Such chips are rare, like the https://www.elabinc.com/ EDE300 chip, offer limited options. There are a few outdated ones like the 6402 and the AY1013, but you'll have to try your luck in finding them. Trying to create one out of logic gates isnt very efficient either.
The simplest way is after all a uC.

It's easy doing it with a microcontroller.

Thanks!
checkmate..i have something want to ask you.

If i connect the PC16550D after the serial cable and MAX232, will it work as a serial to parallel converter??

Is it possible to make it work without having to work with a microprocessor?

You can take a look at the data sheet of the PC16550D.
**broken link removed**.
It's quite obvious that you need a microprocessor. You need to program the registers, either using a microprocessor/microcontroller, or extremely complex logic that even I can't imagine. I have already listed some ICs that could be used above. However, stand-alone serial-to-parallel convertors are legacy stuff and you may have difficulty finding them.

Ooh..
So..
Will that circuit i shown above perfectly for my application?

Why not going with a CPLD for this? Then you just need one chip besides MAX232 and one oscillator (this is needed in any case). There´re lots of application notes dealing with this like:

hxxp://cengine.topcities.com/ce180/verilog/uart.html

or any other UART example.
The beauty with this is that you can easily change behaviour to what you like and adjust baudrate with several input pins programmed for that...

Might be worth starting a nice small project with programmable logic design using VHDL/Verilog/AHDL/Schematics/whatever language you prefer (o;

Sure there´re lots of people here helping you get on this boat (o;

The easier, cheaper and faster way to do this at this speed is no-doubt a PIC16F84 whit a MAX232 and some passive components.
You can easily find a lot of pre-cooked code to solve your problem or somewhat of very similar.

where can find rs232--IEEE1284Bconverter

Hi there..
Do you know any program for PIC16F84A to do the serial to parallel data conversion?I hope to see some of the example coding, then i'll modify some from there.
Thanks!

Do you intend to use assembly or C. If using C, which compiler are you using? The definitive website for PIC source code is piclist.org. For C, some compilers make it so easy it requires only a couple of lines of code.

I am using assembly language to do the coding part. Besides that, i am using the MPLAB software to convert the coding into hex codes.
Is there any program that can do what i intended to do?
Thanks!

Is 16F628 code can be modify into 16F84A?
Or both use the same command?

not in this case...the uarte example posted uses the hardware uart inside the 16f628,that the pic 16f84 does not have...my advice...the 16f628 will be your new friend...

Thanks for the suggestion but i'll stick to PIC16F84. Since i just want to do serial to parallel data conversion.

Is 16F84 same as 16F84A?If different, whats the differences?

If i want to load 92h into register W, how should i write it?
MOVLW 0x92?
MOVLW 92h?
MOVLW H'92'?

Thanks!

Salam cwt,

you can write

movlw 0x92

Bye

i have to write a source code in C or ASM that transmits data from the serial port to the paralel port, and i'm not that good whith neither of the above programming codes.can anybody send to me as soon as possible that source code pls!!!!ban_de_rasu@yahoo.com is my email contact, and i need it for an important school project and quicly!!tnx!:cry:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back