Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial port loopback help

Status
Not open for further replies.

pisoiu

Advanced Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
com port loopback

Hi,
I have one application which must sends data on the serial port (com1) to another application which receive data from the other serial port (com2). This system was easy on a desktop PC, with two serial ports available, a simple rx-tx loopback between the serial ports solved the problem. But now I need to do the same thing on a laptop (with winXP). Unfortunatelly, the com2 is internally wired to the IrDA adapter and is not available on a external connector. Only the com1 is. Now, my question is, are there any applications available which helps me to make an internal (somewhere at the windows core) connections between those two com ports?
Thanks,

/pisoiu

Why do you need to pass data thru the serial port for transferring the data? You can transfer data within two applications by using files on the Hard disk. Have you tried that?

aryajur said:
Why do you need to pass data thru the serial port for transferring the data? You can transfer data within two applications by using files on the Hard disk. Have you tried that?

Nope, it is not possible. One application is made by me, I can do whatever I want with it, but the other application is a GPS navigation software, and I can supply it with data only on the serial port.
Anyway, the sollution is here, thanks to dainis.

/pisoiu

perhaps this is useful:
**broken link removed**
that guy changes some windows inf-files so that a connected IrDA-receiver appears as usual COM-port, circumventing the windows IrDA stack. Now you could use a simple adapter (e.g. Vishay TOIM4232 + TFDU4xxx + MAX3232) to connect your or the GPS device via "IrDA-COM-port". Just an idea ....

Mik

M!k said:
perhaps this is useful:
h**p://cmail.info.kuzbass.net/~nav/WinLIRC.htm
that guy changes some windows inf-files so that a connected IrDA-receiver appears as usual COM-port, circumventing the windows IrDA stack. Now you could use a simple adapter (e.g. Vishay TOIM4232 + TFDU4xxx + MAX3232) to connect your or the GPS device via "IrDA-COM-port". Just an idea ....

Mik

Read more carefully Pisoiu post and answer, he making GPS (emulator ?) software, and do not need real connection to other hardware .....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back