Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Serial Port example program for PIC18F2550

Status
Not open for further replies.

bskumar7080

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi.
Can anyone guide me to write a C program for Serial communication using C18 compiler

Regards
Sivakumar

//#define USE_OR_MASKS
#include <P18f2550.h>
#include <usart.h>
//-------------------------------Configuration setting ----------------------------------------------

unsigned char Rxdata[25];
unsigned char Txdata[] = "MICROCHIP_USART";

// BAUD_RATE_GEN is calculated as = [Fosc / (64 * Desired Baudrate)] - 1
// It needs to be changed depending upon oscillator frequency.
// 8MHz / (64 * 2400) - 1 = 51 (approx.)
#define BAUD_RATE_GEN 51 // Fosc = 8MHz, Baud Rate = 2400 bps

void main(void)
{
//-------------------------configure USART ---------------------------------------------------------
// API configures USART for desired parameters:
// - TX/RX interrupts turned off
// - Asynchronous mode
// - 8 bits
// - Continuous Receive Enabled
// - Low speed baud rate generator mode (Fosc / 16)
OpenUSART(USART_TX_INT_OFF | USART_RX_INT_OFF | USART_ASYNCH_MODE | USART_EIGHT_BIT | USART_CONT_RX | USART_BRGH_LOW, BAUD_RATE_GEN);
//baudUSART(BAUD_8_BIT_RATE | BAUD_AUTO_OFF);

//------------USART Transmission ----------------------------------------------------------------
putsUSART((char *)Txdata); // transmit the string

//-----------USART Reception ---------------------------------------------------------------------
getsUSART((char *)Rxdata, 24); // receive data up to 24 bytes
Rxdata[24] = 0; // NULL terminate the string for putsUSART call.
putsUSART((char *)Rxdata); // echo back the data recieved back to host

CloseUSART();
while(1); // end of program
}

Hope this helps!

Can i known what oscillator is used, configuration settings, Programmer and compiler used

look here

**broken link removed**

Hi,

I personaly use C18 C compiler from MPLAB that you can download from the microchip web site.

I strongly recommend for you to check out the 2.10 "USART functions" and 3.6 "Software UART functions" chapters from the the "C 18 C compiler librairies" document from microchip that you can find here: https://ww1.microchip.com/downloads/en/devicedoc/mplab_c18_libraries_51297f.pdf

You will find very useful short examples that will help you a lot. It won't take you too much time. After that you will be able to easily adapt your UART functions to your hardware.

I hope that was helpful for you!

Last edited:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back