Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Selecction of Analog MUX for a 16bit DAS

Status
Not open for further replies.

jebaspaul

Junior Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi,

I am designing a DAS system which needs a board level precision of 14 bits. So, I have decided that it is better to go with 16bit precision in component level.
Input signal frequency : 200Hz (max)
Archtecture : Differential

I need some suggestions from the experience.

For argument we consider an analog MUX from Analog Devices, ADG1207.

There are several parameters to be considered. I start the discussion with OFFisolation.

OFF isolation
ADG_1207_Offisolation_curve_Page_13_Fig_18.jpg

In the above curve, OFFisolation Vs Frequency, at lower frequencies there is a flatness. Can any body tell me Why it is flat at lower frequencies. I have gone through so many MUX datasheets. In all datasheets the lower frequency OFFisolation is around -90db.
Since, I am intented for 16bit precision I need atleast -96dB of attenuation at my maximum input frequency (200Hz). Is there any analog MUX available in the market which supports 16 bit precision interms of OFFisolation. Is that interpretation is correct.

Thanks,
Jebas.

The isolation is mainly determined by the stray capacitance between channels, thus it flattens at low frequencies. Since crosstalk is also circuit dependent, depending upon the load impedances, you may have to do a measurement to determine if the device has sufficient crosstalk isolation in your particular configuration.

Status
Not open for further replies.