Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Second Order Sigma Delta DAC (for frac-N PLL)

Status
Not open for further replies.

celebrevida

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I've been studying Fractional-N PLL design and learned that you can implement it using a first order DAC. Frac-N PLLs can divide by N+A/B.
You can do this by dividing by N for B-A reference clk cycles and N+1 for A cycles. The average Fvco/Fref is then (N+A/B)

The first order DAC is as follows:
1602190518814.png

The operation is straightforward. Digital In is A. The 1-Bit DDC maps OUT=0 to 0 or OUT=1 to B. The Comparator outputs 0 if Reg < B and 1 if > B and overflows which also determines the 1-bit DDC value that gets subtracted. It's easy to hand-simulate and understand.
For instance, if A=3 and B=8, you have an OUT bitsteam of 00100101 (repeating)

Using 1st order DAC for Frac-N is usually not done because the frequency deviations from Fvco_target are large and noisy.

So I am aware that 2nd order Delta-Sigma modulator is used. This modulator has 2-bit output and can provide -1,0,1,2 (instead of 0 and 1 like first order) thus allowing division of N-1,N,N+1,N+2.

The problem is that I am having a lot of trouble finding documentation that allows me to understand 2nd order Delta-Sigma modulation for Frac-N PLL.

Here is one picture I found but there's not details on the theory or how it works.
1602191310929.png

For instance, how are you getting 2-bit output stream?
What exactly is going on when you cascade what looks like two 1st order delta-sigma back to back?

Appreciate any insight or any link to resources. I understand 1st order very well but just can't get my hands around 2nd order delta-sigma at all right now.

You are confusing 2nd order with multi-bit SD modulator. The second schematic shows a 1-bit 2nd order ADC.

You are confusing 2nd order with multi-bit SD modulator. The second schematic shows a 1-bit 2nd order ADC.

I'm not that familiar with multi-bit SD modulator. Is that just several 1-bit SDM in parallel?

In any case, for Frac-N modulation, they definitely call it second or higher order sigma delta modulation. Here is a TI document on this.

Here is their Fig for 3rd order SDM:
1602194742531.png

Forget about 3rd order, I can't even get my hands around 2nd order. Ideally, I would be able to understand 2nd order at the same level as I understand the 1st order. But I just find that once you go from 1st to 2nd order, it gets really confusing to me as to what is going on. Every Frac-N PLL 2nd or higher order documentation I can find just throws things like the above out there but assumes you just already understand 2nd order and just applying it to Frac-N use.

Status
Not open for further replies.