Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rs232 to usb adapter that supplies 5Volts

Status
Not open for further replies.

fvnktion

Junior Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Does anyone know of an rs232 to usb adapter that supplies a small usable supply voltage on one of the DB9 pins? This would be an optimal fix for what I am trying to do.

Alternatively I think this my work??? What do you think?

I want to be able to power an RS232 tranceiver with 2mA at a minimum of 2.5 Volts. I have tested an existing adapter that when enabled has 5.4 volts on pin 7 (Request to send) and 4 ( Data terminal Ready).

I put a load of 100 ohms on the lines and they are loaded down to 2.6 volts on the 2 given lines. Based on the calcluation the lines are supplying 2.6 volts/100 ohms = 26 mA. It appears that the terminal would still able to run without using the Hardware control pins, especially given my load of only 2mA needed should leave a much high voltage on the control pins.

Any suggestions?

could you have connect the circuit wrongly?

Perhaps you can upload the schematic for further discussion.

Best Regards,
Siong Boon
MODERATOR - SIGNATURE LINKS ARE NOT ALLOWED

yes, how it can be..??

they call Parasitic power line. via DIODE 1n4148 its can doing. hook to line control rs-232. is'n it..?

ugh.. converter rs232 to USB..?? power consumption..?

may be u can using FTDI IC FT232 like that... pls gooling.

Status
Not open for further replies.