Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

[SOLVED] RF Receiver for 150MHz and 450MHz FSK Signals

Status
Not open for further replies.

dohzer

Member level 1
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
I want to build a simple receiver and use it to receive FSK data at up to 4800bps in the UHF and VHF bands (around 150MHz and 450MHz).
I've found the Philips SA614A IF FM chip which looks like it could work, but I'm not sure how to tell what its operating frequency range is.
Does the fact that it's "fabricated with a 10 GHz process" mean that it would work up to 10GHz (assuming layout, etc, was no problem)?

If anyone has any suggestions of other circuits or chips, I'm all ears. :)

I want to build a simple receiver and use it to receive FSK data at up to 4800bps in the UHF and VHF bands (around 150MHz and 450MHz).

The trend is moving towards Software Defined Radio(SDR) which is cheaper and versatile.
which inturn avoids hardware design you can configure the system using software (see GNUradio) and RTL-SDR
I've found the Philips SA614A IF FM chip which looks like it could work, but I'm not sure how to tell what its operating frequency range is.
Does the fact that it's "fabricated with a 10 GHz process" mean that it would work up to 10GHz (assuming layout, etc, was no problem)?

If anyone has any suggestions of other circuits or chips, I'm all ears. :)

Get the datasheet for the IC, it will have all the info. I personally doubt it can handle 10GHz.

Hope this helps.

I have various SDR boards; BladeRF, cheap $10 DVB receivers, etc, but I'm trying to build a simple, low power data receiver.
I already have the datasheet, but I can't see anything specifically relating to max/min frequencies.

There are various examples:
Code:
Intermediate frequency amplification and detection up to 25 MHz
Code:
Fig 6. Typical application cellular radio (45 MHz RF input and 455 kHz IF)

However I think I'm an idiot... I need an external mixer which is where the min/max RF frequency will come in. :oops:

hmm... then you are in right direction. ( I thought you want to experiment with protocol)
Again you are right, as it is an IF IC you need external Oscilator, mixer etc...

I have various SDR boards; BladeRF, cheap $10 DVB receivers, etc, but I'm trying to build a simple, low power data receiver.
I already have the datasheet, but I can't see anything specifically relating to max/min frequencies.
However I think I'm an idiot... I need an external mixer which is where the min/max RF frequency will come in. :oops:

its freq max was stated on the first page of the link you gave.....

Applications
Cellular radio FM IF
High performance communications receivers
Intermediate frequency amplification and detection up to 25MHz
RF level meter
Spectrum analyser
Instrumentation
FSK and ASK data receivers

Yes, its just an IF amplifier and detector
you still need a full front end ( RF amp and LO and mixer)

cheers
Dave

its freq max was stated on the first page of the link you gave...
Yes yes. I mistook this chip for another NXP one with an integrated mixer. Case closed, etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back