Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

rf connector to fit substrate thickness question

yefj

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello, my substrate is FR4 1.6mm and signal thickness is 1oZ (0.035mm)
the width of a trace is about 0.2mm also there will be copper pour around the trace with 0.2 spacing from the trace
I have found connector shown in the link below.
but i am not sure if would be able to solder this connector to the PCB.
from the data sheet bellow they say that the distance between pins is 2'A'
A=1.73mm which is 2*1.72 much higher then 1.6mm.

How do i find a connector which could fit my 1.6mm and trace 1oZ thichness?
they is no such category in digikey filter,so how could i know is this connector whould fit my PCB?
Thanks

1695633228290.png

Hi,

"2X" does not mean you need to multiply the value.
It means the value counts for two measurements.One on the left side, one on the right side.

If there were 8 pins it would show "4X".

When there is a THM DIL IC with 16 pins and you see the footprint drawing it may say:
16 x Ø 0.8mm
This does not mean: one hole with 12.8 mm diameter,
--> but 16 holes with 0.8mm diameter each.

Klaus

Hello Klauss, My PCB has a shape of a microstrip with copper pour as shown below.
I want to use SMA type connector which i would solder to it.
Could you please help me understand what is the formal name of such connector that whould fit this kind of PCB?
Thanks.

1695636668080.png

Last edited:
Hi,

your picture shows a sketch of a PCB with traces. Nothing about a connector.

The connector of post#1 is an "edge mount SMA connector"

Klaus

The shown connector perfectly matches your board height, considering the expectable tolerances for 1.55 or 1.6 mm standard board.

Your coplanar transmission line needs to be widened towards the board edge to better fit the connector footprint.

Hello Klauss ,So if want to find the edge mount SMA i need to know if the space between its pins fit perfectly my 1.6mm substrate.
the red circles in the pictor below is the pins of the connector.
but i need the red circles on the different levels to be 1.6mm between each other.
i have two questions:
1.If you could please say how do i know that my connector could fit my PCB of 1.6mm?(there is no such filter where it says that this connector is suited for 1.6mm substrate.
2. when i looked at the footprint of the connector i saw threw holes.
Why whould i need threw wholes if i imaginge connector is surface mound soldered tanjentual to the traces?
maybe i am using this connector the wrongwany and i am suppose to do threw holes on the PCB for it?
Thanks.

1695639711934.png

1695640009060.png

The shown SMD "End Launch Jack Receptable" doesn't use holes in the footprint, just ground vias, please review datasheet

1695641015300.png

--- Updated ---

Here's a typical PCB mounting situation:

1695641093464.png

Hello FVM,i have in the picture below 5 pins .I plan to place my PCB in between these two pins as shown in the red arrow.
I dont need threw holes for that purpose.
Where did i go wrong?Why they gave me 5 pin threw hole footprint?
Maybe this is not the proper way this connector was planned to be used?
Is there some more suitable type connector for my purposes?

Thanks.
1695641208018.png

Hello FVM,Yes you are correct.
The connector you showed in the picture is exactly what i am looking for .
you said its name is SMD "End Launch Jack Receptable"
but when i looked at digikey filter shown in the link i cant see there a category for 1.6mm thickness i cant see end launch jack.
I only see the Jack category shown in the picture below.
Could you please help me understand how to pin point the the exact type you shown in your picture?
Thanks.

1695642183427.png

1695642000407.png

Hi,

I don´t understand.
What´s wrong with the connector shown in post#1?

As far as I can see: this is what you need.

Klaus

I don't really understand the question because Digikey 142-0711-821 shown in post #1 is exactly fitting your PCB, as already stated.

When I go through search engine, selecting SMA, end launch , 50 ohm, jack female conatct etc., I get about 100 matches. Most of them have the intended mounting style. Unfortunately there's noPCB height selection criterion, you need to check the datasheets manually. Or go the opposite way, select a suitable connector from a major manufacturer and check if it's available a Digikey.

SMA edge launch connectors come in a series of gaps just for
this reason. You might find this aspect in some distributor or
vendor "selector" tools. Those tabs are not for through hole
insertion. However vias can improve mechanical and electrical
integrity (better than traces attached only by adhesion to the
outer layers) if the solder fillet grabs them.

Hello FVM, I have a chosen the component shown in the link below.
When i downloaded the foot print fits three of the top pins of the connector.
But the symbol of the scematics has 5 pins although i need only 2 pins ,one for signal and one for the GND(single ended)

1.Assumning pin 1 is the signal ,I need the GND Net to be connected what do i do for GND ?
2.what do i do with the rest of the pins?
3.the two neightbors of the signal pins are just for soldering, In the design these two neigbors are part of polygon pour.
how do i mix the pads on the connector with polygon pour uniting them.(Altium question)

1695660245646.png

1695660154220.png

Suppliers do not share a common language except Chinese maybe so the english names are almost standard but not quite. I found many omitted with the standard description selected by filters;

Some are also round pin and some are rectangular pin depending on solder mounting methods.

Some have thinner flash gold plating which must affect pricing, others like Hirose or unknown quality from Pasternack.

Although the higher quality is not obvious from the specs, for $32 /ea .

e.g. torque specs and flash gold thickness greatly determine loss after each re-connection.

Your choice was $6.90 or the cheapest foe edge Mnt

I found for $0.79 with round pins for TH and maybe no nuts(?)

CONN SMA RCPT STR 50OHM EDGE MNT
Connectors>RF>

Last edited:

LaTeX Commands Quick-Menu: