Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RF budget analysis docs and references

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mazz

Advanced Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hi croud
does someone have advanced informations on spreadsheet's budget analysis?
I'm dealing with a budget made by some competitors, that I would like to understand better, I would like to have links, documents on this item.
For example is interesting to see how non-linearities and noise advance in the RX chain to understand which block is limiting the performances and what can be optimized.
I need some reference on classical approach of this argument, it will be an help.
I know how to use simple software like appcad, I would like to see something more advanced.
Thanks
Mazz

I've written dozen's of these. Spreadsheet's work out OK for gain and NF, but things rapidly get more complicated if you try to add non-linearities to the system. The best reference that I've seen for this is

William Egan
Practical RF System Design

**broken link removed**

Dave

Mazz

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
RF Dave, I agree
but that's how things go!
Real receivers work in noisy environment.
And people are still using, most of time, spreadsheets.
The way is faster than behavioural simulations (@DS...), both to build up the bench and to simulate it. The classical way.
There are ways (using spreadsheets) to see, in a budget with non-linearities and interferers, which block is contributing to a certain degradation of performances.
The book is interesting. Thanks
Mazz

Hi Mazz

Maybe you can find here something

**broken link removed**

PL

Hi Mazz:

The Egan book is the only one that I've seen that talks in depth about spreadsheet analysis, for that reason alone it's a good book. The last couple of rounds of receiver spreadsheet work that I did, I ended up putting a bunch of stuff in VBA (I was using Excel) and that made the calculation's much easier. Unfortunatly, I can't share what I did.

Dave

I have written countless link budget spreadsheets in Excel and I have to agree that Egan's book covers some of the details I've never seen documented anywhere else. I just started using VBA last year to handle the complex calculations and it is the best thing to turbocharge your link budgets.

So I need to study VBA...
Thanks
Mazz

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back