Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

RESOLUTION of DAC should be... ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

onemilimeter

Member level 3
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Resolution of digital-to-analog converter should be:

1/ (2^n - 1) or 1/(2^n) ... where n is the number of bit of binary input string.

Thanks.

yeh i am also having the same perplex

in somewhere it is used as 1/ (2^n - 1)
and somewhere it is as 1/(2^n) . which one is appropriate?

I m sorry but I do not understand the formula, can one of you help me out with a related doc.

The resolution depends on the no. of levels in your conversion.

For ex.,
Vrange= 0-5 V
If I'm using a 8 bit DAC, there are 2^8 steps. i.e., 256 steps.
So the minimum most voltage that you can measure is 0.01953125V which means the resolution if 1/(2^8) not 1/(2^7) of the Voltage range.

If we desire to divide the continuous interval [a,b] to N different levels. That is, we descretize the interval and quantize it. If we have N different levels then we divide the distance from a to b (b-a) into number of increments we have, which is N-1 increments.

The result is that the first level is a and the N'th level is a+(max number of increments)*resolution=b.
Try it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back