Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reg determination of rf current density across a rf schematic design

Status
Not open for further replies.

srinpraveen

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
reg determination of rf current density across a rf schematic design using sonnet

Dear Friends,
I am in dire need of knowing how to determine the current density of a RF schematic design through sonnet for a RF schematic design that has been done on AWR and EM simulated using microwave office's axiem 2 and a half D simulator. The AWR project files are of .emp extension. Is there anyway to open these files on sonnet so that I could use Sonnet's current density viewer to have a pictorial depiction of the rf currents? As far as what I can see, the sonnet opens only .son project files. I am not sure if there is any mechanism to convert .emp files to .son files for sonnet to open up.

Kindly help me regarding this as this is needed for my acads. Thanks and regards.

PS:- If I have posted this on the wrong thread, moderator kindly move it to "RF, Microwave, Antennas and Optics" thread if you may find it to be more apt there.

Hello,

you can only use the Sonnet current density viewer with Sonnnet models. If you want to see the values of layout with components, the components must be defined inside Sonnet (ideal or Touchstone *.snp files). The current density is then based on the port voltage defined in the current viewer.

If you want to see the values for your AWR schematic, you would need to take the layout to Sonnet, define the components (not just ports) in Sonnet and run the EM analysis.

Attachments

• currents_sonnet.JPG
    currents_sonnet.JPG
    93.6 KB · Views: 117

Well that sounds good but a bit complicated for my aptitude level. Is there an easier way than this? For instance, I set sonnet 3d em simulator as my em simulator in AWR for a particular em extract doc of my desired choice. Then I clicked "view em structure in native simulator" in AWR. Now the EM layout was opened up in sonnet window. But when I tried clicking "view currents" in sonnet, it said "cannot view currents, make sure you have analysed your design with the sonnet current density viewer". Also I am not able to duplicate the *.son file (EM extract doc that AWR generates that is viewed via sonnet) as sonnet gives me the error message saying "*.son EM extract docs created via AWR cannot be saved as inside sonnet"....Hence I see a deadend as far as a straightforward approach for this is concerned.

Hello,

you can only use the Sonnet current density viewer with Sonnnet models. If you want to see the values of layout with components, the components must be defined inside Sonnet (ideal or Touchstone *.snp files). The current density is then based on the port voltage defined in the current viewer.

If you want to see the values for your AWR schematic, you would need to take the layout to Sonnet, define the components (not just ports) in Sonnet and run the EM analysis.

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

@Volker, I extracted a .net netlist file from the awr schematic and tried opening the .net netlist file from sonnet. But sonnet crashes and says unable to open it. But I have a gut feeling there must some easier way to do this. Can anyone help on this?

---------- Post added at 03:18 ---------- Previous post was at 02:55 ----------

Well that sounds good but a bit complicated for my aptitude level. Is there an easier way than this? For instance, I set sonnet 3d em simulator as my em simulator in AWR for a particular em extract doc of my desired choice. Then I clicked "view em structure in native simulator" in AWR. Now the EM layout was opened up in sonnet window. But when I tried clicking "view currents" in sonnet, it said "cannot view currents, make sure you have analysed your design with the sonnet current density viewer". Also I am not able to duplicate the *.son file (EM extract doc that AWR generates that is viewed via sonnet) as sonnet gives me the error message saying "*.son EM extract docs created via AWR cannot be saved as inside sonnet"....Hence I see a deadend as far as a straightforward approach for this is concerned.

---------- Post added at 02:55 ---------- Previous post was at 01:31 ----------

@Volker, I extracted a .net netlist file from the awr schematic and tried opening the .net netlist file from sonnet. But sonnet crashes and says unable to open it. But I have a gut feeling there must some easier way to do this. Can anyone help on this?

The thread can be dismissed. I found a way to do this and it is pretty simple. Thanks Volker for the help anyways.

But when I tried clicking "view currents" in sonnet, it said "cannot view currents, make sure you have analysed your design with the sonnet current density viewer".

You must run the EM analysis, with "current density output" enabled. By default, it is off because the output files can be large.

Also I am not able to duplicate the *.son file (EM extract doc that AWR generates that is viewed via sonnet) as sonnet gives me the error message saying "*.son EM extract docs created via AWR cannot be saved as inside sonnet"....

To save the file outside the AWR project, use "File > MWOffice > Analyze Outside MWOffice" from the Sonnet project editor.

Volker, I extracted a .net netlist file from the awr schematic and tried opening the .net netlist file from sonnet. But sonnet crashes and says unable to open it.

Sonnet is not designed to read AWR netlists.

Your complete approach seems strange to me. Sonnet is an EM simulator and the Sonnet current density viewer shows what the Sonnet EM analysis has calculated. If you want to probe currents in the AWR schematic, use probes in the AWR schematic.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back