Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

reducing the signal strength of an RF module

Status
Not open for further replies.

natasie

Member level 2
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hey everybody,

do you have any idea how to reduce the signal strength of an RF module. for project demonstration, a vehicle moves into an RF zone and immediately, his car slows down. i have been asked to do this for my small demonstration which should be about 30cm maximum. i am supposed to show the vehicle drive freely on a free zone and am supposed to show it slow down in a rf zone and continue to drive freely when it gets out of the rf zone and this has to be done on a small board.

can anyone help me with a suggestion? can i connect anything to the TXD and RXD pin of the transmitter and receiver module? like a capacitor or a resistor? the frequency is 433MHz thanks.

As you give no details on your "RF modules", it is not easy to advise. At 432 MHz, try to find where the antenna is, and turn it away from a target. You can also cover the module in aluminum foil to prevent it from radiating too much. Leave only a narrow slit in the wrap, and see what happens.
If aluminum attenuates too much, try to enclose the module in a lossy enclosure, like a metal box with a hinged lid; then by opening or closing, the lid, you can adjust the range.
The best way, if your RF module is a transceiver with a common antenna, I would disconnect the antenna and connect another one through an adjustable attenuator.

ohh thanks

i really like the aluminium foil idea because its d most feasible for me right now because am not planning to connect an antenna to the rxd to reduce signal strength. i will try the aluminium foil. i do not mind wrapping the transmitter about 2 or 3 times to get a desired range of transmission.
thankyou

oh but secondly, what is an adjustable attenuator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back