Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recover deleted project from HFSS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roro28

Newbie level 6
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
Hello,

I've just deleted my project from project manager in HFSS by mistake. Is there any way I can recover the project? I've been working on it for 3 months! :(

if you have already closed HFSS and saved it...you are skrood. If HFSS is still open and you have not saved, then you can just close HFSS and upon being asked to save... choose NO!! As the project was not saved it will still have your project there in the *.hfss file.

Another thing to do, and perhaps safer, again assuming you have not saved HFSS and that HFSS is still open, is to go to the directory the project is saved to. Copy the *.hfss file and paste it back into the directory. Open the pasted project and it should be your original project prior to deletion.

Also, for future, and I feel I may not need to say this, but always back up your work ;) I always email a copy of my latest effort to myself nearly daily to ensure I have something :)

Have Fun

Reactions: qqpost

qqpost

Helpful Answer Positive Rating
If you work in a large commerical company or university, and save files to a network drive, it is quite possible the IT staff will be able to recover the data from a backup tape.

There are several tools available on the Windows platform which might be able to recover your files. But I would advise you to switch off the computer, don't save anything. Then using another computer, search and try to find some software to recover your files.

Essentially in Windows, when you "delete" a file, the OS knows it can write to that part of the disk, but might not have done so. Unless the data has been overwritten, then you have some hope of getting it back. It's more difficult on a Unix platform to recover files - at least that has been my experience.

I don't suppose this will be much consolation, but if you have lost your files you spent 3 months working on, I expect it will take you far less than 3 months to get back to the same position. You will have no doubt done a lot of things in the 3 months which you know led nowhere, so you wont repeat them.

I don't know about you, but I often save my files with a different name. So my "yagi" file will be saved as "yagi" then "yagi2", then "yagi3" etc. So if I screw up, I can go back to an earlier version. Of course that does not help in the event of hardware failure. For that, you have to rely on mirrored disks, and then backups. But saving the files regularly with different names is worth doing.

As tallface65 says, emailing yourself files is useful. .hfss files are not huge, and you can store a lot of them on a gmail or similar acount.

That's useful to know - I was not aware of that feature in Windoze. (The spelling error is intensional)

Personally I save most of my stuff to a ZFS file system on a machine running Solaris. On that, I create snapshots every 5 minutes, 15 minutes, hourly, daily, weekly and monthly. Only monthly snaphots are kept forever - the rest get deleted as they get old. It means if I find I've deleted a file fairly quickly, I wont lose more than 5 minutes work, but if I don't notice for 4 weeks, I can lose a weeks work.

Dave

Status
Not open for further replies.

Part and Inventory Search

Welcome to EDABoard.com

Sponsor

Back