Continue to Site

Welcome to EDAboard.com

Welcome to our site! EDAboard.com is an international Electronics Discussion Forum focused on EDA software, circuits, schematics, books, theory, papers, asic, pld, 8051, DSP, Network, RF, Analog Design, PCB, Service Manuals... and a whole lot more! To participate you need to register. Registration is free. Click here to register now.

Recommend embedded C compiler beside hi-tech pic C

Status
Not open for further replies.

johncsl82

Advanced Member level 4
Helped
Reaction score
Trophy points
Activity points
hi...

can anyone recomend any C compiler beside hi-tech pic c?

I need a embedded C compiler which can support today latest ANSI/ISO (same as normal PC C compiler) and esay to use.........

Thanks

PIC16F or 18F series?
Have you ever tried CCS compiler?

John

sorry...... mainly on PIC16

but how about both PIC 16 and 18 series?

Thanks

Just some sales talk cut-&-paste from the original compiler maker:

1. http://www.fored.co.uk/html/ansistd.htm
The FED C Compiler is designed to ANSI C Standards. This means that we have chosen the vast majority of the ANSI Standard and designed the C Compiler to that standard. Those areas which are not compliant are shown below:

Types - the compiler supports char,int, long, and float types (integers in signed and unsigned form). double type is not supported.
The ... form for functions is supported - but only through assembler
Old style "Kernigan & Ritchie" function definitions are not supported
Only those ANSI library routines which are relevant to typical micro-controller applications are included

2. http://www.sourceboost.com/Products/BoostC/Specification.html
ANSI 'C' compatible - Makes code highly portable.

3. www.ccsinfo.com
Attached find the ANSI compliance statements from CCS.

I only have experience with hi-tech C and CCS, so really couldn't comment too much on every product's ANSI compliance.

By the way, why hi-tech C is no good?

Hope it helps.

John
ARM boards, 8051 boards, etc.
www.TechToys.com.hk

I've worked on CCS and BoostC compilers.

BoostC is cheap and good but its way too slow in compiling if you use libraries and some libraries are messy....needs hell lot of improvement.

CCS is also cheap and it rulez man. Just try it once and you'll forget any other PIC C compiler!! Its simply awsome. It comes as many libraries/examples you can think of.
However you may need sometime to go through its extensive examples to get used to it. Initially you'll think it uses a weired kind of way of using ports and registers, but eventually you'll find that its a good structured way of doing it.

And finally about Hi-Tech...man in which world they are living?? I just tried the demo version and uninstalled just after installation...The reason.....boy...it still comes with DOS IDE!!!!! :D... People say its a good compiler but since I am not so used to DOS, I don't like it.

CMOS said:
And finally about Hi-Tech...man in which world they are living?? I just tried the demo version and uninstalled just after installation...The reason.....boy...it still comes with DOS IDE!!!!! :D... People say its a good compiler but since I am not so used to DOS, I don't like it.
They do have a Windows IDE, called HI-TIDE, which is a multi-platform development environment. They are offering that IDE for free.

Cheers,

namqn said:
They do have a Windows IDE, called HI-TIDE, which is a multi-platform development environment. They are offering that IDE for free.

Cheers,

They might have introduced it recently. But anyways who wants to spend so much when much better compiler (CCS) is availabe for less. :cheers:

Hi, I need an older version of HiTech PICC

Hi,
I'm new in this forum. Is there anybody who can send me, (on my e-mail : pcsoftpc84@yahoo.com) a demo version of HiTech PICC (for 16C controllers). I'm interested for HiTech PICC v8.02 (I need the demo version, not the Lite one), or if you really want to help me (please) can you give me a full one ?
Thank you in advance !!!

If you really want to help yourself then please dont ask for something which is not lega, go and buy one. CCS C compiler is good and will not cost you much.

The Hi-Tech compiler integrates into mplab so the dos ide doesnt come into it. You work totaly from mplab.
Problem with ccs is it has no linker. Which makes it your hobbiest option.
The best C compiler for pics is the Pic30 tools from Microchip for the 16 bit dsPic and 24 series.
This is a port of the gcc compiler, which is the bees knees of c compilers.

I don't consider asking for a DEMO version is illegal. Ok, I don't want the full version (... I see you don't like this...), I JUST WANT THE DEMO VERSION, CMOS are you satisfied ?

Status
Not open for further replies.